JAVA Updates: Keep or Uninstall

Tom AZ

I just noticed the following Java components installed on my computer. Can I uninstall the older of each of these two updates (Updates 1 and 4) -- or do they need to be retained because they build on each other and are not complete apps in and of themselves?

J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 1

J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 6

JAVA 6 UPDATE 4

JAVA 6 UPDATE 5

I just noticed the following Java components installed on my computer. Can I uninstall the older of each of these two updates (Updates 1 and 4) -- or do they need to be retained because they build on each other and are not complete apps in and of themselves?

J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 1

J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 6

JAVA 6 UPDATE 4

JAVA 6 UPDATE 5

I hate that about Java. Updates get installed and the old ones are still there sometimes taking up hundreds of MB of space. I remove them all except the current one and have no issues.

Courtesy Secunia PSI:

Extra Information / Known Issues with Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

It is important to be aware that older versions of Sun Java are not removed from your system when downloading and installing new versions from Sun. Therefore, if you have the latest Sun Java version installed, then you should consider removing all older versions of Sun Java from your system. This can be done via "Add/Remove Programs" in the Microsoft Windows "Control Panel".

If you are in doubt about removing older versions of Sun Java then please contact the vendor for assistance.

All earlier versions should be uninstalled. (In an ideal world, this would happen automatically when you installed the new version. Heck, most everyone else's programs do!)

In another ideal world, the darned Java updater would actually do what it's supposed to and let you know a patched version is available before the decade ended.

The number quoted above is the current version.

I think (but am far from sure) that the presence of an earlier installed version may expose you to whatever vulnerability that it may have had.

Sometimes even when you do un-install an older version of Sun Java it leaves remnants of itself in old Folders.

Use Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer then navigate to C:\Program Files\Java then delete the old un-needed Folders.

Use the on-line Secunia Software Inspector to insure that you have no vulnerable applications installed:

http://secunia.com/software_inspector

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I don't. I install the update than go uninstall the crap left behind. Never had an issue.

The proper way is to first uninstall current version, delete leftover folders and remove leftover registry entries. Then you can install new version from the clean table.

The proper way is to first uninstall current version, delete leftover folders and remove leftover registry entries. Then you can install new version from the clean table.

Well there is an internal updater in the Java section of the Control Panel. How would you use that updater if you removed Java before updating? If removing the old Java first before installing the new one is the proper method why is there an update option in Java?

Well there is an internal updater in the Java section of the Control Panel. How would you use that updater if you removed Java before updating? If removing the old Java first before installing the new one is the proper method why is there an update option in Java?

Well, i don't use that Java updater. It's better to download new version manually. Of course you can use the updater, if you like.

• Moderators
Use the on-line Secunia Software Inspector to insure that you have no vulnerable applications installed:

We all, supposedly, learn something new every day. This is mine for today.

Thanks for the heads up and the link YoKenny, there are one or two things on my pc I know are "old" versions, which I have out of choice, such as WinAmp 5.3.5. (The latest version sucks on my pc.)

But there are also a couple of things I didn't know were out of date, which do need updating.

Sometimes even when you do un-install an older version of Sun Java it leaves remnants of itself in old Folders.

Use Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer then navigate to C:\Program Files\Java then delete the old un-needed Folders.

I just ran Secunia and it found insecure versions of:

Adobe Acrobat Flash Player 9.x

Macromedia Flayer Player 7.x

Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x

Does Secunia delete them?

Is there a way I can delete them

The programs you need to update can all be removed via "add remove programs" in the control panel, and then the latest versions downloaded/installed from the respective vendors.

There are two common Secunia scans. The first, an online one. The second, by a program the user installs called Secunia PSI.

If you use the former, no.

If the latter, no also, but it will simplify the process considerably (not that it's that difficult) by offering semi-automatic "Download solution" icons in the program.