System Volume Information Files Failed to Defrag

Ymaster587

Hey guys, just would like to say thanks for all the hard work you're doing with Defraggler and all of your other products. To the point. I've been using Defraggler since its first public beta, and there's been one thing that's really irking me. The program is successful at defragging nearly any file I've thrown at it...except for the system volume information files that keep coming up.

2i226ah.png

Normally this sort of thing wouldn't be a big deal for me...except for these four files take up 6.4 gigs of hard drive space alone. Any ideas of how to free this up?

Here's the crash log if it helps. ---------> defraggler.exe._1_1_64__2008_03_20_16_14_.txt

defraggler.exe._1_1_64__2008_03_20_16_14_.txt

I'm pretty sure those are System Restore Points, so you can turn them off if you want to get rid of them, but I would recommend against it. I think it's just something funky with Vista that even lets them be seen in Defraggler. They aren't in the list on XP.

I'm pretty sure those are System Restore Points, so you can turn them off if you want to get rid of them, but I would recommend against it. I think it's just something funky with Vista that even lets them be seen in Defraggler. They aren't in the list on XP.

Guest Jim, I caught that I knew what had to be done, if you get a C:\System Volume Information\_restore If you see a virus or spyware in that place, you have no alternative but to turn off System Restore. Then any of your antivirus or antispyware can remove it. I have in my computer Ad-Aware 2007 and when I scan after turning the System Restore (at 200MB!) there only one restore point for I stop the scan when it hits hosts, set system restore point, finish and to top left to close. BTW, I have WINXP Home Edtion and they are there also. Another cleaner, EasyCleaner (not usable in Vista) will list them when I list what is in the drive by GB. I will go so far as to say that this is a topic in http://forums.cnet.com in Vista Forum. WINXP forum & Spyware,viruses and security forum. Darrell

PS-Those other file I also saw some were LOGS and and I edited and deleted them and saved. One had to do with

Event Viewer and that is located in Administrative Tools and I just delete them and NO Save! there was only one item in there. :rolleyes:

PPS- Correction, on Vista it is System Volume Information only but the WINXP has at the end - \_restore. The Vista U saw was a Home Premium, refurbushed and had MSN Messenger 8.5 in it and is now 8.1 with 8 other corrections made by me

• 2 months later...