• Norton
    • Online Scanner Only
    • Panda
    • Trend Micro
    • Other
    • None

I own 3 antiviruses:

1. NOD32, valid for a year update.

2. PCMAV, a local antivirus, you can combine it with ClamAV.

3. PCTools Threatfire free version (not exactly an antivirus).

I currently install the Threatfire only.

I use F-Secure Client Security 7.10. But I'd like to hear your opinion on whether it's of any use running Windows Defender or not. Is Client Security superior in every way to Windows Defender? So running them both is just waste of resources?

Of course ,you are not going to run them both at the same time.Windows Defender uses up quite a few MB and conflicts with other security programs.Resulting in a a slow computer.This happened to me personally.

I have no experience with F-Secure. I do like AVG!Good Luck!! :)

I have no problem running them both simultaneously. Windows Defender takes ~20-30 mb of mem, Client Security somewhat more as it includes firewall, virus scanner etc... I was only wondering if running Windows Defender with Client Security is actually going to benefit. If Client Security detects all the same threats as WD then there's obviously no point in running them both.

I don't have experience with Client Security.Does it also run in the background analyzing everything coming in like Windows Defender does.If so you probably will get tired of responding to both softwares.My experiece with Windows Defender was OK except I only have 256MB of RAM so it slowed down my computer.Otherwise,what's the harm.I am sure we will have some more good input from other members. ;)

I use to use avast! home free edition on my XP but now use it on my Vista because of the excellent P2P protection it has and I have more space on Vista than my XP. Love the Star Trek skin for it :D I use Avira AntiVir PE Classic for XP now, great detection rate, I know is has no mail scanner but I don't need it and it rocks! AVG I tried for a couple of months, didn't work on Vista (home basic) and not much success on XP plus it uses a lot of space and it's detection ate is below par - imho - based on mine and my kids experiences with it. Each to their own though, I am not bashing it, what suits one, doesn't suit another. I also use ClamWin portable for "just in case", excellent on demand scanner for those moments of crisis!

I am not technical with computers. My Dell XP (6 yrs old) has slowed down very much in the last month. Disk Frag shows I have over 65% memory. I have performed all the regular maintenance. A friend suggested a local person that could help me. (we live in a small town - no pro-tech help) That person came and un-installed Ad-Ware and installed CCleaner. They un-installed Norton and installed the free AVG. I am not sure what else they did as they are not available now. The computer is still very slow. I am trying to navigate CCleaner. Is free AVG better than the basic Norton that I still had 9 months on my subscription?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Y'all are all so smart about all this, I am out of my league.

Bullrem

• 2 weeks later...

Just switched from Panda Platinum 2005 to NOD 32. Best thing I've ever done. Computer running at twice the previous speed.

Woody

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• 3 weeks later...
I am not technical with computers. My Dell XP (6 yrs old) has slowed down very much in the last month. Disk Frag shows I have over 65% memory. I have performed all the regular maintenance. A friend suggested a local person that could help me. (we live in a small town - no pro-tech help) That person came and un-installed Ad-Ware and installed CCleaner. They un-installed Norton and installed the free AVG. I am not sure what else they did as they are not available now. The computer is still very slow. I am trying to navigate CCleaner. Is free AVG better than the basic Norton that I still had 9 months on my subscription?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Y'all are all so smart about all this, I am out of my league.

Bullrem

I don't remember answering this thread, pardon me if I did already.

I use NOD32 and really love it. After using products like Norton IS and F-Secure IS in the past and configuring countless of others at work, this product really hit me hard with it's low resource use, fast scanning and effective heuristics. I believe that with my surfing habits and other layers of protection the antivirus is pretty unneeded, but because I am a paranoid after all... :P So why not take something that is good but still uses only a few resources? Also, the "technology-savvy" interface is what I like. It is like a complete opposite of some antivirus-softwares which only shows if "Your computer is protected" or "Your computer might be at risk".

No, I'm not affiliated with Eset, I'm only pleased =).

• 1 month later...

I use ZoneAlarm, and in fact that uses the Kapersky engine. One and the same. You should add /ZoneAlarm to Kapersky. I bet alot of ZoneAlarm uses were added to Other when they belong under Kapersky. It would put it up there with the most used. It should be considering it is known as one of the best search engines around with over a 99% catch rate everytime.

wow..

by the sound of "freakin computer genius" who doesnt need firewall or antivirus, he must be really smart

Not really, he must be using the same software that I've been using for 5 years. Uninstall Manager 4.3, doesn't appear to work on Vista yet.

The name is a bit misleading because it doesn't uninstall anything. It tells you want additional files have been added to you hard drive since the last check.

You can set it so it ignores folders that are always being updated e.g. Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and Recent documents. This way you know if something has been downloaded of the web without you knowing about it. You just send it to the Recycle Bin and you can delete the files later.

You can also do a system restore at the click of a button.

Ok my virus checker.

For 12 years I've been using McAfee in its various versions, 4.5, 6.01, 7.01 and 2006 10.0. I could download and install the updates as regular as I wanted too. Then last October when you downloaded and tried to update you get the message back can't find any McAfee products. So I bought McAfee 2006 v10.0 and installed that thinking it needed a newer version, no the same error came back.

So I downloaded AVG Free Edition 7.5.488, uninstalled McAfee. Installed AVG and downloaded the latest update and did a full scan. It picked up a virus (I can't remember the name or type) that I had in a zip file. Now this is something that McAfee couldn't find.

I downloaded AVG Free Edition 7.5.518 recently, just thought I would update to a newer version. Installed it and downloaded the current updates and let it do a full scan. This time it would scan for 5 minutes or so then and error message some conflict with kernel32.dll. I did a reastrt and ran it again and after about 5 minutes the same error came back. So I uninstalled it and put 7.5.488 back in and it runs without any errors or conflicts.

Now I never have my virus checker running all the time because they use up a lot of resources. I was on the web the other day, on a serial number site and it said it needed to download an ActiveX so the page/site would work. I clicked Yes and it did something for a few seconds then carried on. I get a popup from AVG said a virus spotted in Temporary Internet Files and it removed it. Now if the virus checker isn't enabled in any way how did it pick this suspect ActiveX up?

So for me I would recommend the AVG Free Edition, exellent. ;)

P.S. Have you every thought who is making these viruses? I know the obvious springs to mind the bored student. To me these are probably being made by the virus checker companies, that keeps them in business. Don't you find how quick they find a solution or an update for a particular virus as soon as a new one comes around. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Just switched from Panda Platinum 2005 to NOD 32. Best thing I've ever done. Computer running at twice the previous speed.

Woody

I did the same as you woody, first I had norton's free trail in my laptop when I bought it then I bought Panda. Does where killing my computer speed. Took all the memory. Then I got recommended to Nod32. I when I switched my computer started to run fast.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using McAfee Security Centre. When the subscription runs out, i'm probably switching to the free Avast!
I'd probably go with NOD32, free A-V's don't do half the job of a low-cost A-V.

Silj

siljaline

Why pay for what you can get free. :P

I am happy to pay as I believe you get nothing for nothing in this world. But on a serious note, these companies have invested a lot of money and resourses to protect pc users and I think it's fair to pay. I use Norton 360 and Threatfire Pro which work very well together. Regards DD.