Firewall(or lack there of) that I've noticed

rridgely

• Moderators

I just wanted to throw a big heads up to all you laptop users out there to make sure that you either have a firewall or have the windows firewall on with the "no exceptions" box checked when on public wifi. I'm sitting here on a public wifi network with my linux mint machine's network folder open and I can literally access about 30 computers' shared folders. Now I'm not actually doing this but I find it staggering how many computers I could just easilly start picking files off of.

Oh and no I'm not doing any hacking or whatever you want to call it. In linux it has to emulate the windows file sharing and unlike with windows you dont have to name work groups. You just see all computers on the network(at least thats how linux mint is doing it).

Oh and just remember that you dont only have to worry about what people take through the folders but what they put on there as well. <_<

Checked out friends three different laptops sitting atop my coffee table in the lounge room and they all picked up a wireless connection.

Been to all my neighbours within a 50 - 80 metres to let them know but none of them owned it? :blink:

Connection's name is "EXTREME-EVIL" so maybe I'll just leave it alone. :P

I just wanted to throw a big heads up to all you laptop users out there to make sure that you either have a firewall or have the windows firewall on with the "no exceptions" box checked when on public wifi. I'm sitting here on a public wifi network with my linux mint machine's network folder open and I can literally access about 30 computers' shared folders. Now I'm not actually doing this but I find it staggering how many computers I could just easilly start picking files off of.

Oh and no I'm not doing any hacking or whatever you want to call it. In linux it has to emulate the windows file sharing and unlike with windows you dont have to name work groups. You just see all computers on the network(at least thats how linux mint is doing it).

Oh and just remember that you dont only have to worry about what people take through the folders but what they put on there as well. <_<

Thanks Mr. Ridgley,

I'll remember that as soon as those "free laptop" scam sites send me my laptop.

All I had to do was give them access to my computer and answer a few simple questions like

What are your Credit Card numbers, bank account numbers, and a few passwords etc.

I have been waiting and waiting. :lol::lol::lol:

I know "Don't talk to strangers" and "Stay away from Scam sites".

:) davey

P.S. Here is a classic snap shot for you.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=98552

Edited by davey

• Moderators
Thanks Mr. Ridgley,

I'll remember that as soon as those "free laptop" scam sites send me my laptop.

All I had to do was give them access to my computer and answer a few simple questions like

What are your Credit Card numbers, bank account numbers, and a few passwords etc.

I have been waiting and waiting. :lol::lol::lol:

I know "Don't talk to strangers" and "Stay away from Scam sites".

:) davey

P.S. Here is a classic snap shot for you.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=98552

Do yourself a favor and install this to get rid of the ads(although mrg did dump the ads from the forum)

http://www.ie7pro.com/

Do yourself a favor and install this to get rid of the ads(although mrg did dump the ads from the forum)

http://www.ie7pro.com/

I use it and I like it plus the forum is quite active with the developers responding frequently.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user