Automatic Updater

the_hyrax_lord

I love CCleaner, it's very useful and user-friendly, but it annoys the hell out of that every time there's an update I have to go through about 5 or 6 steps (go to the website, follow a couple links to get to the download link, save the file, run the installer, set all the options I already set last time I updated, then delete the old installer file). It would be nice if there were some automatic updater, which downloaded and applied the changes automatically, without having to manually download and install a new file (similar to the way an anti-virus program would automatically update its database from the internet).

To be honest, I don't even know how possible this is with a program like CCleaner, but it would take a lot of the hassle out of updating, which would be great since updates are so frequent.

You didn't mention the specs of your system, but on my windows XP machine, I just click on the 'check for updates' button on the lower right of Ccleaners' opening screen and the program jumps through all those hoops automatically. And if you do NOT uninstall the old version, CCleaner will retain your setttings.

You didn't mention the specs of your system, but on my windows XP machine, I just click on the 'check for updates' button on the lower right of Ccleaners' opening screen and the program jumps through all those hoops automatically. And if you do NOT uninstall the old version, CCleaner will retain your setttings.

Is that so? I'm also using XP, but as I said, if I open the program and there's a new version available it tells me, but then links me to the website and I have to manually run it through. I have 'Automatically check for updates' checked under settings. How odd. Next time there is an update, I will ignore the window, and click on the bottom right link, and see if the behaviour is any different.

I have 'Automatically Check for Updates' selected also, but for me it doen't always tell me an update is available even if one is. Yet when I click on the Check updates button, I may find one available. I still have to select the version number and run the install file but not all the cleanup work you mentioned.

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to revive this, mention it again.

I'll rephrase what I mean though, as it may not be clear - when there's an update available, it'd be nice if the update was automatically applied. That is, I didn't have to go to the website and find the latest version and download and install it; the program simply updated itself.

Is this possible? I mean, I know it is because other programs do it, but is it possible within the context of CCleaner?

Also, I saw mentioned on the forums somewhere the idea of a unified suite of programs - CCleaner, Defraggler, and Recuva. That would be very handy, sort of a Piriform Housekeeping utility, with each of the programs accessed through a tab, and global settings possible (eg a one-click CClean followed by Defrag).

Just some thoughts.

• 4 months later...

Yes an automatic updater would be very nice!

It's not so complicated. Take a look how it's realized in SIW. http://www.gtopala.com/

It checks for an xml file on server. If version on server is newer than local version, it downloads new file.

After that it closes program, renames old file to a backup file, renames new file to main file.

And than it's completed.

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

• Moderators

Yucky Autoupdaters make baby j###s cry. Much prefer warning that new version there and let me decide to get it or not While w/CCleaner new version aren't usually evil doers other programs are and there fore much prefer to (except for OS) let me do it. Especially handy if your users don't have intall privilages cause then they open CCleaner it trys to update and yells at them "NO ME NO INSTALL YOU A UNDER PRIVIAGES USER"

Sorry me no sleep and am Loopy :blink:

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yucky Autoupdaters make baby j###s cry. Much prefer warning that new version there and let me decide to get it or not While w/CCleaner new version aren't usually evil doers other programs are and there fore much prefer to (except for OS) let me do it. Especially handy if your users don't have intall privilages cause then they open CCleaner it trys to update and yells at them "NO ME NO INSTALL YOU A UNDER PRIVIAGES USER"

Sorry me no sleep and am Loopy :blink:

It could always be an option, off by default and only turned on by those who need it. It's simply annoying having to download a new installer onto the pc every time there's an update (this is less of a problem for me now I have a firefox extension which lets me run exes without downloading) :)