Case fan

CeeCee

I wonder why my rear case fan won't start up always, when i power on the computer? It usually starts to spin, but not always. It has been so, since i bought it. It starts to spin, if i help it a little. Front fan is exactly the same model and it works fine.

As with everything mechanical it has a lifespan and as the saying goes

and probably lost its internal lubrication.

They are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace and its probably a good time to disconnect the system unit and take it outside in a sheltered space and use an air blaster can and a fine bristled paint brush to remove stubborn DustBunnies.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

If the fan itself isn't in the power supply look for it's power cord that goes to the power supply then unplug it, then plug it back in. Since it hasn't worked right since day one it could be a loose connection during the shipping of the PC. If it isn't a loose connection getting a new working fan should be a priority, and hopefully your system is under warranty to get a free replacement.

Well, i try that on and off thing. That fan didn't come with the computer, i have bought it separately.

It's strange, that it can start up fine for days and then some day it won't start along with the computer. It start to spin, if i push it a little.

It start to spin, if i push it a little.
Thats a sure sign that the internal lubrication is becoming sticky and soon the fan will start wailing like a banshee or the whine of a dentist's high speed drill.

Did the fan come with a warranty?

Do you still have the receipt for the fan?

Can you take it back to where you purchased it?

Thermaltake is an excellent manufacturer of cooling add-ons:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...5&CatId=494

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Please answer the previous questions.

That is an impressive looking make of fan.

Try loosening off the 4 corner screws that mount the fan to the case to see if the fan case is being twisted a bit.

IE7Pro user

Well i changed the power adapter (PIN > molex), let see how it goes now. I have 2 of them , because i have 2 same fans. Front fan is connected to MB (PIN) and the rear to the power supply (with the adapter). Its just connected to some leftover molex connector hanging around. It's the only one available. I think it's a branch of the floppy drive molex.

Try loosening off the 4 corner screws that mount the fan to the case to see if the fan case is being twisted a bit.

It's not with the screws. There's a ready place for the fan and it's mounted there.