Dj's DAF

Capman

Dj, I have just downloaded dial-a-fix (full 13MB redist), now what do I do?

I am sure the questions I am going to ask will be relevant to everyone in here, so this could be a topic for people to refer back to, or even to come to, to ask specific DAF questions.

Which of the .exe files do I need to run?

Are they all suitable for all versions of windows?

(I maintain 98SE, 2000, ME & XP computers mainly, so I need to know which .exe files can be run on these systems).

Can they be run regardless of whether or not there are currently any problems?

Will there be any noticable differences after running them, or will they just make certain things run more smoothly?

I notice they are mainly made by MS, so why do we not have them already, and if we dont already have them why do we need them now?

If we do need them now, why do we not get them through Windows Update?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to know what I am doing to computers when I install something.

This is all a list of things that will be explained when DAF is a fully supported product :)

For now, it's an experiment.

I'll go ahead and answer now:

Q1) Dj, I have just downloaded dial-a-fix (full 13MB redist), now what do I do?

A) Extract it all into the directory of your choice and run Dial-a-fix.exe.

Q2a) Are they all suitable for all versions of Windows?

A) The redistributable version (13MB+) contains files that support all different OSes... dial-a-fix knows which ones it can run and which ones it can't. The redist version is good to put on a CD or thumbdrive, and it can be used on 98 through XP. DAF will disable and uncheck certain options accordingly. You can run the individual files if you know what they are and have a reason, but they are mostly there for DAF to run for you (DAF sends special command lines to most of the files).

Q2b) Can they be run regardless of whether or not there are currently any problems?

A) Most of the time. I've had a few hitches, but they were caused by the system itself. Some rare bugs (that are specific to Microsoft's MSI packaging and are not DAF's problem) are being worked out (worked around), and DAF will be rewritten all over again in the near future. I personally checkmark everything in #1 on every PC I repair at the shop; this way, they get new WSH, VB6, and VC6 run-times.

Q3) Will there be any noticable differences after running them, or will they just make certain things run more smoothly?

A) DAF fixes actual *problems* (i.e., you open User Accounts and get a blank page --- I'd say install WSH. Can't connect to Windows Update? Checkmark boxes #3 and #4. Etc, etc.)

Q4) I notice they are mainly made by MS, so why do we not have them already, and if we dont already have them why do we need them now?

A) They are all made by Microsoft. They are current packages used to install things that got damaged somehow (like WSH often does) or are missing to begin with (like VB6 often is). You have most of this stuff already installed -- if you don't, there it is. Again, it's a package intended for a CD or thumbdrive, or as a last-ditch effort ("when in doubt, check them all")

It's a good idea to leave DAF alone unless instructed by me (for now, until I write a guide). I think I'm going to take DAF out of my signature now.. it's causing unwanted comotion :P

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Thanks for such an informative reply, you know I dont have your knowledge, but all the same I like to learn, and if it had meant that I would have f****d up my computer by trying DAF, I would have still tried it anyway, it is due for a reinstall anyway.

Thanks for devoting so much time to this post, I think everyone here will appreciate it.

You did ask for feedback in an earlier post somewhere. :P