data miners - tracking cookies

dusty2008

Hello :)

I am new to this forum but not to CCCleaner. I've used it for years and know very little about it I am ashamed to admit. :(

I have 2 questions that concern me a lot. Hopefully, you members can help me and maybe even put my mind to rest. By the way, in case it's necessary to know, I recently acquired a new home PC. It is an HP Pavilion home desktop with Vista Premium Home Edition - also supremely bloated with megatons of junk that I'll never use and have no idea what to dump and what to keep. I'm way past trying to use Decrapifier though. Like XP, it has a kabillion running processes I'd love to slim down and am totally ignorant on that issue as well.

1) Does cccleaner detect and remove tracking cookies and/or data miners? If not, what free program compatible with Vista Premium 32 bit does?

2) I've always read this for years and years not to ever use a registry cleaner. When I had my XP, it was always written that XP never needed a registry cleaner anyway. I don't know what they say about Vista on that subject. Haven't had it long enough yet. In any case, all the newsletters I get, sites and blogs that I surf to all are adamant about and against using registry cleaners. I don't know what to do and need advise. I know that CCCleaner is highly regarded all over the Internet and I use it every day to dump my temporary internet files.

That's my story and my 2 questions. Any and all advise, comments and referrals about all I've written is welcome and greatly appreciated.

If important, I use ESET Security Suite (Nod32) for my security protection. Thank you.

:D

Hi dusty2008 :) , and welcome to the forum.

You should check out the Beginner's Guide for info on CCleaner.

If you have problems with:

tracking cookies and/or data miners
click here 1%20(120).gifNew Users Start Here

This site is very interesting

post-1268-1202989430_thumb.png

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm

Also click on the down arrow to get the MVPS HOSTS file that blocks malware sites and their cookies.

SpywareBlaster is also good at preventing malware sites from depositing cookies but insure you have the latest reference file updates installed:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

2) I've always read this for years and years not to ever use a registry cleaner. When I had my XP, it was always written that XP never needed a registry cleaner anyway.
That's an Urban Myth spread by the folks that want to spread FUD all over your needed cookies to attempt to make them leave a bitter taste in you mouth.

I use RegReeker after I un-install any application that I don't need any more and it usually finds remnants in the registry due to the application programmer's negligence in removing what they installed:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

By the way, RegSeeker is recommended by the first article mentioned above.

I then use NTREGOPT to remove the slack space in the registry:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

cookies only Accept first-party Cookies Block third-party Cookies tick Always allow seeion cookies third-party is not need is send from who know's you may need to tick override automatic cookie handling, spybot S & D will fix cookies red is bad from www.safer-networking.ong dont get it from spybot.com have a look http://www.benedelman.org/news/021408-1.html * Consider the top three ads for a Google search for "Spybot", a popular early anti-spyware program (full name "Spybot Search & Destroy") no Reg cleaner is 100% safe you be ok with CCleaner some will do in you PC so all way make a backup & system restore :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [ ps Vista CCleaner dont do reg read help in CCleaner ]

cookies only Accept first-party Cookies Block third-party Cookies tick Always allow seeion cookies third-party is not need is send from who know's you may need to tick override automatic cookie handling, spybot S & D will fix cookies red is bad from www.safer-networking.ong dont get it from spybot.com have a look http://www.benedelman.org/news/021408-1.html * Consider the top three ads for a Google search for "Spybot", a popular early anti-spyware program (full name "Spybot Search & Destroy") no Reg cleaner is 100% safe you be ok with CCleaner some will do in you PC so all way make a backup & system restore :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This site is very interesting

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm

Also click on the down arrow to get the MVPS HOSTS file that blocks malware sites and their cookies.

SpywareBlaster is also good at preventing malware sites from depositing cookies but insure you have the latest reference file updates installed:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

That's an Urban Myth spread by the folks that want to spread FUD all over your needed cookies to attempt to make them leave a bitter taste in you mouth.

I use RegReeker after I un-install any application that I don't need any more and it usually finds remnants in the registry due to the application programmer's negligence in removing what they installed:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

By the way, RegSeeker is recommended by the first article mentioned above.

I then use NTREGOPT to remove the slack space in the registry:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Instead of RegSeeker, which does sound good, I use a wonderful freeware uninstaller called REVO. It does what your two programs does - one program instead of your two. I love it.

I am still not sure about my Registry Cleaner question. Are you all say that the one in CCleaner is OK to use or that all Reg. Cleaners are OK to use? I have Vista Premium Home, so I need a free compatible one that won't take out or "fix" things it shouldn't.

I installed REVO and its just a pretty un-installer.

It does not insure that all registry entries are removed like RegSeeker nor does it optimize the registry like NTREGOPT.

Are you all say that the one in CCleaner is OK to use
It has not caused me any problems on my WinME/XP Home/WinXP Pro systems.

use or that all Reg. Cleaners are OK to use?
I never indicated that all Reg. Cleaners are OK only that RegSeeker and CCleaner's cleaners are OK.

have Vista Premium Home, so I need a free compatible one that won't take out or "fix" things it shouldn't.
I don't have any flavor of Vista so I can't comment on the "fix"ability of any registry cleaner.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I use Revo for pretty much all uninstalling, it does a good job in picking up leftovers and is not "just a pretty uninstaller"

I never indicated that all Reg. Cleaners are OK only that RegSeeker and CCleaner's cleaners are OK.
And I would STRONGLY disagree with that comment re Regseeker, absolutely 100% NOT to be treated as being as safe as CCleaner <_<

It does not insure that all registry entries are removed like RegSeeker nor does it optimize the registry like NTREGOPT.

I don't have any flavor of Vista so I can't comment on the "fix"ability of any registry cleaner.

I have to agree with JDPower on this one as regards REVO uninstaller and disagree with you (only my personal opinion, experiences and the zillions of reviews all over the `Net). It does completely and totally remove everything if you use it correctly and fully. There is also the MS Clean Uninstaller as well. I much prefer REVO though and cannot say enough good things about it. RegSeeker has been around forever and I tried it years ago on my XP. Did not impress me personally at all but I am glad that you found something that pleases and works for you. :)

The 2 programs you mentioned, I looked up. One is a registry compacter. Never heard of those and still do not understand them or their function and purpose but will surf around some more. The other one is a Emergency Recovery Utility. Again, not famiar with these programs. Why and when does one need them if you don't mind telling me. As this puter is brand new with nothing on it yet, is it a good idea for me to download and install them? I want to keep this baby pristine and running smoothly having just lost my wonderful XP. I am still in mourning, LOL. :(

So, if I understand everyone correctly here, it is unaninous and totally safe for me to begin using CCleaner's registry cleaner on my Vista Premium Home Edition. Do I have that right?

Also, if you are so inclined, I wouldn't mind knowing what those 2 recommended programs are and when to use them. Does anyone else here use them?

Thanks. :blink:

Ntregopt and Erunt

I just went to the publisher's site to download and install these per recommendations here. The man's site did say Vista compatible, which is what I have.

After installation and much to my dismay, after I scanned them with my ESET security to make sure they were clean, I ran them and they were only XP compatible, NOT Vista as advertised. BUMMER!!!!

I hate that. :( So, I had to use my REVO uninstaller to remove them both completely.

They definitely are compatible with vista

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm

Right Hazel and I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

dusty2008 must pay attention to FAQ # 2. Turn off UAC when using.

Question: Do ERUNT and NTREGOPT run on Windows Vista?

Answer: Yes. To make sure the programs are executed with proper administrative privileges, you should however turn off User Account Control in Vista?s system settings.

MS MVP's recommend them all the time.

:) davey

I must agree with JDPOWER "And I would STRONGLY disagree with that comment re Regseeker, absolutely 100% NOT to be treated as being as safe as CCleaner"

Regseeker can and will get a person in your position into trouble. Has been remarked upon by Fred Langa and others.