wmp11 being limited

JohnDemolition

starting today, wmp11 has honestly started pissing me off. i don't know what i did but this screenshot should hopefully explain some of it

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8995/sshot1uf0.jpg

as you can see, i can't select a visualization even though there should be several that already came with wmp11(there were a couple before...). the bottom part of it that's supposed to contain extra stuff(SRS effects, volume stuff, etc...) is completely blank?and video doesn't show up at all when i play any video file.

anyone have any idea on what happened or if i can fix all of this. it's quite annoying...

• Moderators

Hi John, I've been watching this post to see if anyone came up with an answer, and I wonder if you've solved it yet?

I've done a lot of searching around, as you probably have, and I've come up with very little.

What I have learned is pretty basic, but in light of no other suggestions, I thought I'd share it anyway.

Unlike earlier versions of WMP, which stored visualisations in a folder inside WMP's program files folder, WMP11 apparently has them embedded in a .dll file.

I thought it may be the mpvs.dll, which does handle visualisations, but renaming my version didn't seem to lose my visualisations, so it might or might not be that file, and/or maybe another one in the same folder, that is causing your problem.

I found a vague mention of re-registering WMP's .dll's to put the problem right, although I've no idea how you would actually do that. My first thought was Dial-A-Fix, but I can't find that particular .dll in any of Dial-A-Fix's bag of tricks.

This is all pretty vague, but if you haven't solved it, it might be of some help, or maybe someone else can come up with something better.

Anyways, hope you can fix it.

What operating system are you using that's having a problem with WMP11 :huh:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
i'm using vista. i though i mentioned that... oh well

anyways, i have absolutely no idea how to reinstall it since there's no installer for vista. only for xp.

as for re-registering WMP dlls, i'll try that but i wonder if it will actually do anything...

Perhaps there "may be something" in Add/Remove Programs that lets you remove and install Windows components from either the install CD or .cab archives.

Perhaps there "may be something" in Add/Remove Programs that lets you remove and install Windows components from either the install CD or .cab archives.

there's actually a setup_wm.exe file in WMP's program files folder. but when i run it, it refuses to run since it tries to install an older version :blink: . i wish i could use windows update through IE since that has administrator mode. but oh well.

• Moderators
there's actually a setup_wm.exe file in WMP's program files folder. but when i run it, it refuses to run since it tries to install an older version :blink: . i wish i could use windows update through IE since that has administrator mode. but oh well.

Well there are .INF files located in "C:\Windows\Inf" for Media Player.

However before you play with right clicking and choosing install on any of those INF files I think you'd better search around a bit, and definitely make a System Restore point in the case it tries to uninstall WMP, or makes matters much worse. NOTE: I've never tried to fix WMP by using any INF files before, therefore I could very easily be giving you some stupid suggestion.