Error regarding "Recent" Windows system folder" deletion ...

giacomog1

With every cleaning I'm receiving the following error. "Recent is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted." Why is CCleaner even trying to delete a Windows system folder to begin with? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Giacomo

• Moderators

Can you say which version off CCleaner you are using and your operating system.

If it's xp there is a folder called recent in c\documents and settings\user\my recent documents (you may have to show hidden files)

you haven't by any chance created a folder called recent to put things in?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for your speedy reply. It is the current version of CCleaner, V2.04.543 on MS Windows XP SP2.

A Search of "Recent" shows the following files, hidden files as well:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Recent

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Recent

C:\Documents and Settings\JimG\Recent

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Recent

C:\Documents and Settings\JimG\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

But since these are both either system or application folders, I shouldn't think that CCleaner [sh/w]ould be trying to delete them. And I haven't created any other file named "Recent".

Thanks for any further help, Giacomo

Well for anyone who might be reading this, I've sorted the problem. I must have fat fingered a folder move, since the System folder "NetHood" was sitting in my "My Recent Documents" folder, thus confusing CCleaner, which rightfully did not allow deletion of the folder. It also prevented deletion of the actual shortcuts, but did clear the Start menu, giving one the impression that these files had been cleared. Also, it didn't accurately define the folder that it couldn't delete, as it reported "Recent" as opposed to "NetHood". So, whether this is a bug or not, I can't say. Probably not. But the way it currently works certainly created some confusion for me while trying to debug. Thanks to Hazelnut for the helpful questions. Cheers, Giacomo

Thanks Giacomo,

You are a very righteous person to come back and fill us in on what actually happened.

I have done some "accidental" file or folder moving myself,more than once.I suspect that this has happened to other users reporting similar problems.

Windows is amazing that it can keep things going without hanging up your system until you get things ironed out.

Remember CCleaner is depending on Windows programs to do the bulk of the work.When it gets error message or flags from Windows,it doen't know what occurred.

Your honesty in this matter will help others to resolve similar reported problems.

Best Wishes,

:) davey

• 5 years later...