Registry and Issues

AliceZ

Several days ago I ran the Registry scan and saw several items that had to be deleted. I deleted them and then today when I ran Registry scan I see more issues, all titled as follows:

Problem:- Uninstaller Reference Issue

Date - {5AC94E-06C7-///etc)

Registry Key - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\{D6E84D....etc.)

Someone said I should not delete these as they have to do with WinXP Add/Remove panel in Control Panel. And that if I do delete them, the Add/Remove in Control Panel will not work.

We are senior citizens and this is very confusing and worrysome to us because we do not want anything to happen to our computer as we use it very often.

(If we uncheck "Installer" at left and run Registry scan again, we do not see these Issues, and therefore think it is in the "Installer" category, whatever that is.)

The only thing we are doing new is downloading updates to Turbo Tax every few days.

What do we do? Please help us!

We posted this problem yesterday on "Bugs," but do not see it today. Maybe it was deleted?

ccleaner2xx9.jpg

• Moderators

As soon as you load the Add/Remove component of the Control Panel it will create those ARPCache references!

Now rather they are actually invalid, or not, or just some junk Windows is creating I don't know and have honestly never checked on my system to find out if they are. However I have always allowed CCleaner's registry cleaner to remove those ARPCache references for years now, and it hasn't ever once broken an uninstaller.

You also have the option when removing registry issues with the registry cleaner to create a backup to undo the removal of registry issues, which you can of course do if you wish.

As soon as you load the Add/Remove component of the Control Panel it will create those ARPCache references!

Now rather they are actually invalid, or not, or just some junk Windows is creating I don't know and have honestly never checked on my system to find out if they are. However I have always allowed CCleaner's registry cleaner to remove those ARPCache references for years now, and it hasn't ever once broken an uninstaller.

You also have the option when removing registry issues with the registry cleaner to create a backup to undo the removal of registry issues, which you can of course do if you wish.

Do you mean every time I open the "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, it creates one of those Issues that I referred to above? (Problem:- Uninstaller Reference Issue Date - {5AC94E-06C7-///etc)

Registry Key - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\{D6E84D....etc.))

I opened the Add/Remove several times today and when I run the CCleaner Registry, it still shows the original 9 issues from yesterday. It doesn't show anymore issues (for the Add/Remove openings I did today!).

I have NOT Added or Removed any Programs, and that is why I am confused. Please bear with us as we are completely new at this and do not know much about computers.

I thought someone from CCleaner would respond to my question as to WHY these 9 Issues are appearing after my Registry scan. And can they be SAFELY removed (I know they can be backed-up) without causing problems. If these Issues are appearing, one would assume they should/could be deleted.

They all appear as:

Problem:- Uninstaller Reference Issue

Data - {5AC94E-06C7-///etc)

Registry Key - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\ THEY ALL HAVE NUMBERS FOLLOWING THEM, SUCH AS:

{125F0ACC-D3FC-402B-8096-2F6E46D00D}

{45D68F08-56AO-4412-BB0F-8492BE978AC7} etal

I unchecked one box at a time in boxes in left of screen while in CCleaner Registry, and the only time the 9 Issues do not show are when I unchecked the "INSTALLER" box. And so, I think, the people at CCleaner should know what this "INSTALLER" is picking up in the Registry and why it is being noted to be DELETED.

As I said, I think the folks at CCleaner should know what these entries {125F0ACC-D3FC-402B-8096-2F6E46D00D} refer to and if/can they be SAFELY removed.

Is it possible to have someone from CCleaner look at this question and supply an answer? We do not want to do anything that would ruin our computer? Or doesn't CCleaner people look at these posts?

I've noticed that other people have had this 'problem' in the past, but I have not seen a proper response.

Thank you for your understanding and patience with us.

• Moderators

I have found that with free products a self-help forum is the norm, and quite often users get nothing at all.

I thought that Andavari's answer was comprehensive and reassuring, regulars know he can be trusted. Actually I have a couple of these registry entries and I will have no qualms about deleting them. CCleaner has never let me down.

We posted this problem yesterday on "Bugs," but do not see it today. Maybe it was deleted?

I think you'll find the thread was moved to the Discussions forum, where this one should be as well: it isn't a bug. Rgds.

Do you mean every time I open the "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, it creates one of those Issues that I referred to above?

No, when you open Add/Remove it creates 8 or 9 entries. I too have always deleted them without any problems ;)

No, when you open Add/Remove it creates 8 or 9 entries. I too have always deleted them without any problems ;)

#1- Why is it then that when I now open Add/Remove no more (like) entries are created in the ARPCache?

#2- My wife posted a small query on the MS Forum about the entries and the answer she got was: "They aren't files, they are keys. Your first post shows this. Leave them alone. Jim"

Please excuse my repeated questions about this 'problem,' but it is just so darn confusing. Some folks are saying okay to delete; others are saying do not delete....

• Moderators

Alice I think you are getting a bit stressed when you don't really need to.

As Andavari said, (and I think I have also gone over it with you) there is a restore option available for issues items.

The registry is composed of hundreds of items and CCleaner is a very gentle registry cleaner with a restore of items option available.

It is sometimes better to leave the registry cleaning until you feel more sure of what you are doing, which is probably why the gentleman in the PC Banter forum you posted in, suggested it.

As Augeas said, this is a free self help forum and the CCleaner developer cannot answer every question about registry items personally.

I myself have deleted ARP cache items, just as other member have said they have also done, with no backlash.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The same keys appear on my pc after opening add/remove and I have always deleted them without a problem. If you are so worried about it you have the option to ignore them, Or delete them but create a back-up. Then, if for some personal reason you want them back; merge them back to the registry.

PS. As this isn't a CCleaner bug, perhaps it would be best if a moderator moved this thread to CCleaner discussion, so other new users arn't confused

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Thank you all for your input. Sorry for all the confusion, etc. It is just something that is new to us (husband and me) and scary when we hear Registry. We have been using CCleaner for quite a long time and have have liked it's "performance."

We decided to delete the 9 "keys" that appeared.

It's a bit confusing because we asked our neighbor (who has a laptop but who has the same WinXP sp2) to open her Add/Remove, which she did, and when she did the Registry scan, nothing appeared.

We opened the Add/Remove on our desktop and saw the 9 "keys" Issues after we ran the Registry scan again (and then we deleted them again). As I said, pretty confusing.

(Wonder why (purpose) MS creates these 9 "keys" everytime we open Add/Remove on our desktop (and not on our neighbor's laptop).

And why CC knows enough to find and 'say' these 9 "keys" can be deleted. Probably something we will never understand.)

But as I said, we have deleted those 9 keys.