Black Screen of Death

andrea0769

Ok, So I download this really kewl program... (CC Cleaner) run it... and it cleans all kinds if garbage off my system!!! Wonderrrrrful!!! Then I scan the registry for errors.... and per the advice of my wonderful new program, I clean the registry as well. Being the OCD puter user that I am... I figger all of this cleanup must have left gaps in my drive... sooo I run defragmenter. When I Get up the next morning... Defrag is locked up... I have to do a 3 finger salute to reboot... and then I get the black screen of death. Nothing, just that lovely lil black cursor blinking at me. I did create a back up, but it is in my doc file... and since windows wont boot up or do anything I cant get to it. :-( Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I did the same thing to my friends system, but her defrag did not lock up and I have npt yet rebooted her system. Should I run a system restore to undo this wonderfulness to hers... (Which of course I did not save the back up on??)

Update... I was able to finally boot up... Not into safe mode tho. I restored my system to an earlier date, I merged the registry info back in. What I thought was the black screen of death turned out to be just an extraordinarily long boot. After I resotred everything I dont understand why my computer isnt back to normal. Any ideas?

Update... I was able to finally boot up... Not into safe mode tho. I restored my system to an earlier date, I merged the registry info back in. What I thought was the black screen of death turned out to be just an extraordinarily long boot. After I resotred everything I dont understand why my computer isnt back to normal. Any ideas?

What do you mean by isn't back to normal?

Hello andrea0769,

If you restored to a point prior to using CCleaner,then you should not Merge any backups from the Registry clean.This may be causing it some problems.

Good Luck,

:) davey