Registry Restore

AliceZ

When I run the Registry / Scan For Issues, I always have a back-up made. Luckily, have never needed to restore.

#1- If I ever had to restore those files I deleted in the Registry cleaning, how would that be done?

However, today I have read a few posts on boards that state cleaning the registry is quite dangerous and to not use that feature - if using CCleaner.

#2- Has anyone else heard/read about this problem with Registry cleaning?

#3- Any suggestions about using the Registry/Issues cleaner in CCleaner?

Your comments would be appreciated as we wouldn't know what to do if CCleaner removed something from Registry that wouldn't allow us to use our computer. We couldn't afford to purchase another computer! We are quite concerned, my husband and I.

some say dont clean but may need to if software not install CCleaner is safe as you can get some Regcleaner not so good so make backup reg Erunt it backup keys & hives & system Restore may fix CCleaner dose make a backup # 1 to put Reg Key back right click follow the promps and it say if it went in ok. :rolleyes:

When I run the Registry / Scan For Issues, I always have a back-up made. Luckily, have never needed to restore.

#1- If I ever had to restore those files I deleted in the Registry cleaning, how would that be done?

However, today I have read a few posts on boards that state cleaning the registry is quite dangerous and to not use that feature - if using CCleaner.

#2- Has anyone else heard/read about this problem with Registry cleaning?

#3- Any suggestions about using the Registry/Issues cleaner in CCleaner?

Your comments would be appreciated as we wouldn't know what to do if CCleaner removed something from Registry that wouldn't allow us to use our computer. We couldn't afford to purchase another computer! We are quite concerned, my husband and I.

When you run CCleaners reg cleaner it will ask if you want to backup the removed entries, select yes and they will by default be saved in 'My documents' (take notice of the filename when you save it so you recognise it when you go looking for it - it's usually 'cc' followed by date). To restore the entries if it causes a problem, go to the backup file, right click it and select 'Merge'. This will put the entries back.

On the subject of reg cleaners in general, yes they can be very dangerous but CCleaner is deliberately designed to be as safe as possible so you shouldn't have a problem. If you do you can just restore the backed up entries.

When you run CCleaners reg cleaner it will ask if you want to backup the removed entries, select yes and they will by default be saved in 'My documents' (take notice of the filename when you save it so you recognise it when you go looking for it - it's usually 'cc' followed by date). To restore the entries if it causes a problem, go to the backup file, right click it and select 'Merge'. This will put the entries back.

On the subject of reg cleaners in general, yes they can be very dangerous but CCleaner is deliberately designed to be as safe as possible so you shouldn't have a problem. If you do you can just restore the backed up entries.

Thank you. We do see a few items in "My Documents" that are long numbers with CC. at beginning and .reg at end. I believe those are the numbers you are referring to. All we would have to do is put cursor over them and "right click" and then click MERGE, and it will AUTOMATICALLY restore the Registry to the way it was prior to the removal?

some say dont clean but may need to if software not install CCleaner is safe as you can get some Regcleaner not so good so make backup reg Erunt it backup keys & hives & system Restore may fix CCleaner dose make a backup # 1 to put Reg Key back right click follow the promps and it say if it went in ok. :rolleyes:

Thank you. Sorry, but I do not understand.

• Moderators
Thank you. We do see a few items in "My Documents" that are long numbers with CC. at beginning and .reg at end. I believe those are the numbers you are referring to. All we would have to do is put cursor over them and "right click" and then click MERGE, and it will AUTOMATICALLY restore the Registry to the way it was prior to the removal?

That's right Alice, you will then be asked if you would like to add the information or not.

Having this backup choice makes CCleaner quite a safe registry cleaner.

Problems have arisen in the past because users have renamed the file after the backup to help them remember why they did it (eg.HP entries)

Nothing wrong with that Alice, but if you rename it before you use it, the ending changes from a .reg file to a .txt or something similar. This means there is no merge option when you right-click, and people would say CCleaner wasn't making the backups.

So if you do rename it as a memory aid, just make sure you add .reg on the end.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thank you. Sorry, but I do not understand.

You're not the only one ;)