Reset the entire registry permissions to defaults

Humpty

Came across this tool/tip that may come in handy if ever working on a permissions problem.

Fortunately one of the customers who had this problem contacted us with a solution that worked for them, and I wanted to list it here in case others run into this same problem in the future. Here are the steps to follow to repair permissions to workaround this issue:

1. Download the SubInACL tool from this MS Site and install it. By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

2. Go to the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd

3. Type cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools to change directories to the folder that SubInACL is installed to

4. Type notepad reset.cmd and press yes to create a new file named reset.cmd in c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

5. Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd and then save and close it (or download it from here and rename it from reset.cmd.txt to reset.cmd):

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

6. Type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool (you will need to have adminstrator privileges for this to run correctly). This tool will take several minutes to run

Stolen From Here

• Moderators

I would think giving everything Admin abilities would allow malware to change/delete stuff that is even locked in Admin accounts that normally has to have the permissions manually changed. Many types of security software (anti-virus, firewall, etc.,) stores stuff in Legacy Root "Enum/Root" areas that could possibly have a negative approach to a system-wide security.

Came across this tool/tip that may come in handy if ever working on a permissions problem.
For some reason I could not install Windows Media Player V11 ( WMP ) on my WinXP Pro system because it kept failing with a permissions problem :angry:

I saw the same tip at the AVG Free forum and tried it and then I could install WMP fine.

I would think giving everything Admin abilities would allow malware to change/delete stuff that is even locked in Admin accounts that normally has to have the permissions manually changed.
I use WinPatrol and Windows Defender on my WinXP systems to alert me to things wanting to auto start.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user