Editing DivX file

DennisD

• Moderators

I need to take about 30 seconds off the beginning of a DivX file.

I have a couple of free programs that can edit DivX this way, but with one problem I haven't yet been able to solve.

I can't cut the exact spot I want in the video because it defaults to the previous I frame, (or is it K frame), which is 4 seconds less than I want to remove, and leaves an annoying burst of audio at the start.

If I go to the next I frame, it encroaches into the video, and ruins the start.

Is there a way, or a program (free), that enables an exact cut to be made? Or, can I edit out that few seconds of audio with silence?

Thanks.

• Moderators

If you're by any chance making that DivX into a DVD Video for your DVD player you can edit out those first few seconds in DVD Shrink, here's how (really easy actually):

1. Load (Open Files button) the already valid DVD Video format folder that contains the converted video into DVD Shrink.

2. Click Re-author.

3. Drag Title 1 to the left into the Re-authored DVD area.

4. In the Re-authored DVD area: Right click Title 1, and choose Set Start/End Frames.

You can even click play in the preview window below to make sure it has removed that annoying sound.

• Moderators
Have you tried VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod?

Thanks CeeCee, VirtualDub is one of the programs I used, and I couldn't find any way to make that exact cut. Of course I may have missed something in VirtualDub as it's the first time I've used the program.

If you're by any chance making that DivX into a DVD Video for your DVD player you can edit out those first few seconds in DVD Shrink, here's how (really easy actually):

1. Load (Open Files button) the already valid DVD Video format folder that contains the converted video into DVD Shrink.

2. Click Re-author.

3. Drag Title 1 to the left into the Re-authored DVD area.

4. In the Re-authored DVD area: Right click Title 1, and choose Set Start/End Frames.

You can even click play in the preview window below to make sure it has removed that annoying sound.

That's nice to know, thanks. But I'm not converting it to DVD this time. It takes a long time to convert a large DivX file into DVD, and the results IMO, are not worth the effort. A DivX enabled DVD player is the direction I'm taking.

• Moderators
So you want to cut between the frames?

Yes, but I'm not even sure if that's technically possible, as the I Frame carries all the information for the following frame. If I could cut between two I Frames, then in theory, that frame wouldn't play, as the information for it is lost.

I hope I'm making sense here, as this is new to me, but maybe there's a software that will move the all important I Frame to the point I want to make the cut.

The second option being to overdub that first few seconds with silence, as the screen is black at that point, but so far I've not found a way to do that either.

• Moderators
The proper way to do this is to setup AviSynth as a frameserver into Virtualdub. If you dont know what this means you can learn from AviSynth documentation and virtual dub.

I don't know what that means, but now I know the method, I'll find out.

Thanks for the input Caldor, and thanks also Jack.