Please Recommend a PSU

Caldor

Ok, tax time means a new PC for my workstation....errr gaming and entertainment machine :) heh

So Ive got the spec pretty much nailed down now but the PSU remains oustanding. The criteria is:

1. Must be atleast 1000 watts

2. Must have 3 six pin pcie

3. Must have 3 eight pin pci

4. Must have totally stable and clean power

5. Would be nice to have good efficiency >85%

6. Would be nice for modular plugs for cable management

7. On a whim, ESA support would be cool for geek factor

This will be a 780i, tri sli, quad core overclocked beastie.

Have a look at PC Power and Cooling. They hare very reliable and strong power supplies; Maximum PC has used them in basically every Dream Machine, and have never had one fail on them (minus the one an editor dropped on the floor! :P ) .

1000 W Power Supply

1200W Power Supply

I'm not sure if they are Tri-SLI or ESA, but they are 83% efficient. I looked through Google, and came across this thread. I guess Tagan has a 1300 supply that will be ESA certified and tri-SLI compatible. EDIT: Found product here.

Woot! A system that will be able to handle Crysis in high-resolution in DX10 mode. What specs you looking at??? Processor, RAM...everything!! I'd definitely like to know...along with where you are getting the money!?!?

AJ

Thanks mate, that Tagan BZ ESA 1300 looks sweet. Ill check around for some reviews.

I'm an ICT consultant and the cost goes against tax as "tool of trade". LOL

Here's my spec so far:

EVGA 780i mobo - or maybe the EVGA FTW or maybe the Asus Striker II. I heard rumour that 790i may support DDR2 but it all depends on how and when it plays out. I wont be going DDR3 the price / performance is just crazy.

4GB 2x2 G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ. These overclock very well and IMHO are just as good as the OCZ reapers but far less costly.

2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 RAID HE103UJ. One for system and one for data. I am particular here to buy the enterprise grade HDD and not the crapsumer version. Its called RAID, but I dont run RAID, it jusat signfies the enterprise grade drive. RAID 5 is the only raid level I'd be interested in but that requires a hardware xor engine and I wont have space on a tri sli mobo for it to fit and regardless, RAID isnt a backup solution anyway.

Lian-Li PC-P80 Case and Lian-Li C-01B Black DVD Bezel. Or the TJ07. Or the Cosmos S ESA. I dont like the dorky LED fans on the PC-P80 but could replace those with other 140mm fans. Neither the Lian Li or Silvestone support ESA so Im looking at the Cosmos maybe. The TJ10 wont have ESA until March and no plans for the TJ07. I'd like to run ESA, but the ability to use EATX mobos and having 10 slots on the PC-P80 is handy too so its a hard choice.

I'll be running an old QX intel quad core until intel bring out their Yorkfields.

For graphics I am now waiting until March cos the 9800GTXs are delayed from February so old hardware here again until then. It'll be three 9800GTXs more than likely.

IMHO Ive never seen water cooling give a consistently better overclock than high end air so it will probably be a Ultra Extreme with two scythe 120mm fans.

This isnt an over the top system. Im not getting 8GB of RAM or the highest end Intel. Im planning for a very solid machine that makes sense - for example the performance difference between 4gb and 8gb of ram on Vista x64 in most uses is zero. Same with the processor the new QX yorkfield is just waaaaaay to expensive to be worth it, and the 1600mhz fsb can be achieved through overclock anyway. I will however get the 12mb cache version of the quad core yorkfield.

This isnt an over the top system. Im not getting 8GB of RAM or the highest end Intel. Im planning for a very solid machine that makes sense - for example the performance difference between 4gb and 8gb of ram on Vista x64 in most uses is zero. Same with the processor the new QX yorkfield is just waaaaaay to expensive to be worth it, and the 1600mhz fsb can be achieved through overclock anyway. I will however get the 12mb cache version of the quad core yorkfield.

Are you kidding me?! LOL! The 9800GX2's are gonna be big and expensive, especially right out of the gates. And the new Intel quad cores are amazing!? I'm in shock you don't call this over the top---I consider it beyond top of the line ---this is freaking bleeding edge!!! LOL

PS---Wanna lend me some money? I've been wanting to build a system for a longggg time! :D:P

AJ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153054

Personally though, I think... you should reconsider what you're building. People can put together machines that are 90% as good as bleeding edge machines for much much less. If you have the money though, I guess it's up to you.

Also, Intel should drop the prices of the Conroe processors after the Penryn is released... so make sure you wait for that :).

IPB Image

Its really not that high end guys. For example, Im not getting the latest QX yorkfield ($US1400), or 4GB of fast DDR3 ram ($US1000), a 128GB solid state drive or anything else over the top. I think its just trisli that will set this system apart. Though in the long run its a tax concession and I can sell the cards second hand later on. Apart from tri sli its just a nice motherboard, 4gb of pretty cheap ddr2 and a run of the mill yorkfield quad core.

The Tagan ESA 1300 doesnt have any reviews but reviews of the similar ITZ were not positive. The Thermaltake designs dont support ESA so it looks like I will need to wait until Thermaltake\CoolerMaster\X3\Corsair etcetc put out ESA supported psus.