Lost photos?

stewy

I recently ran the newest version of CCleaner. Outside of the fact that it took close to 10 to clean the Windows side (I use Firefox primarily), it seemed to do something to my photos.

The photos' size and title info was kept, but I can't get any previews. Error message-file invalid or not supported :angry: I did not have this problem with the prior version. Did I lose these forever? I did not have the reg backup switched on, was this where I went wrong? I have (had) over 4 gb worth of memories to try to save. Is this even the right forum to post this on? I have not seen anything quite like this mentioned in any of the forums I'm a newbie here, thanks in advance for any help!

And if not, why?

That's not particularly helpful.

Did you change any of CCleaners options/tickboxes, eg tick anything in the advanced section? When you say you can't get any previews do you mean there are no thumbnails of the pics in the folders? What happens if you click on them, do you see the pic?

Do you got a backup of those photos? And if not, why?

Try this: Go to Start>Control Panel> Folder Options>File Types. Find 'JPG', then hit "Change" and select "open with" program from there.

everything is set to open with Windows picture and fax viewer

That's not particularly helpful.

Did you change any of CCleaners options/tickboxes, eg tick anything in the advanced section? When you say you can't get any previews do you mean there are no thumbnails of the pics in the folders? What happens if you click on them, do you see the pic?

if I recall, I only checked the uppermost box in the advanced section. I get the tiles (icons?), but no thumbnails. When I try to open in either windows pic viewer, PhotoImpressions 5, Mr Photo 3, I get a message saying no preview generated. Windows tells me that the "file is invalid or not supported". There is an addition in my pictures folder, though. It is a new tile created the same time CCleaner was run. It is a "Thumb Data Base File", with a DB extension. The tile has a picture of 2 meshed gears the upper one is green, the lower one is a yellow-orange. does this help, or mean anything?

Hi,

The guys already assisting you are top notch.

I would recommend that you review the Applications listed in The Cleaner window and untick any thing related to your pictures software. Photo Shop or whatever.

Good Luck,

:) davey

P.S. Please Post some more details so these guys on the forum can assist you better.

if I recall, I only checked the uppermost box in the advanced section. I get the tiles (icons?), but no thumbnails. When I try to open in either windows pic viewer, PhotoImpressions 5, Mr Photo 3, I get a message saying no preview generated. Windows tells me that the "file is invalid or not supported". There is an addition in my pictures folder, though. It is a new tile created the same time CCleaner was run. It is a "Thumb Data Base File", with a DB extension. The tile has a picture of 2 meshed gears the upper one is green, the lower one is a yellow-orange. does this help, or mean anything?

Hmmm, not quite sure how CCleaner could have corrupted those pics. Were they just in your 'My Pictures' folder or somewhere else? And when you right click them and select properties does it show them as having a filesize or are they 0bytes? If the latter I suspect they may be gone :unsure:

(By the way, the thumbs.db file is nothing to worry about, Windows creates it automatically in any pics folders, it is normally hidden though)

Hmmm, not quite sure how CCleaner could have corrupted those pics. Were they just in your 'My Pictures' folder or somewhere else? And when you right click them and select properties does it show them as having a filesize or are they 0bytes? If the latter I suspect they may be gone :unsure:

(By the way, the thumbs.db file is nothing to worry about, Windows creates it automatically in any pics folders, it is normally hidden though)

they show a file size and the titles I gave them. The only extra box I checked was the "Prefetch" (the first one in the advanced section). Otherwise, the program ran unaltered, taking 10 minutes just in cleaning the Windows part. The Firefox section did not have much, if anything to clean. It may have happened possibly in the Issues section. There was a page full of issues in mouse print, but after a quick once over there was not nothing that appeared to be anything familiar there, so I let it all go. My guess is it was there, that it happened.

Did you select save back-up when Fixed selected issues?If so you can reset your registry.Dont try anything yet.

If not did you backup your Registry before using the registry clean?

Do you have a System Restore point prior to then?

Wait to do anything until you hear from JDPower or a Moderator.

BTW,what photo software are you using?This info may be helpful.

Edited by davey

Did you select save back-up when Fixed selected issues.If so you can reset your registry.Dont try anything yet.

If not did you backup your Registry before using the registry clean.

Do you have a System Restore point prior to then.

Wait to do anything until you hear from JDPower or a Moderator.

I never learned how to backup the registry, or anything (obviously) for that matter. Kicking myself, now (HARD!). I did restore it back 3 hours, to before I even downloaded the newer version of CCleaner. And yes, there were many restore points for the month of January to choose from. Too bad this does not have an "undo" function, like the System Restore does.

Hey we can handle that learning process later.Hazelnut (one of the Moderators),her motto is "Try to stay calm."

Understandably, you are still in a mild state of shock.

Be assured that there are many experienced members to help you.They have "been there and done that".

Hello again stewy,

In order to keep your mind occupied click on this link.

These are the works of a real forum Expert.You can also read his other important Posts by clicking on the buttons on the left.Anyway look into what he has to say about Picasa photo software.You can link to it from there.But don't try using it or anything else until you hear from JDPower or a Moderator.

There may be a simpler way to handle your situation.

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm

Hello again stewy,

In order to keep your mind occupied click on this link.

These are the works of a real forum Expert.You can also read his other important Posts by clicking on the buttons on the left.Anyway look into what he has to say about Picasa photo software.You can link to it from there.But don't try using it or anything else until you hear from JDPower or a Moderator.

There may be a simpler way to handle your situation.

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm

It is a rather reserved state of shock, rest assured. I know the pics are there, something just changed the locks on the door to their rooms. Funny thing :blink: , the pics that I received via e-mail then sent to the desktop, view fine in Windows pic & fax viewer. If you read up the thread, you'll see what photo programs I use; nothing out of the ordinary to speak of.

• Moderators

Just one or two ideas.

Have a read here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921048

Are you able to open any other jpeg files on your computer?

If you go into Paint on your computer on do file>open, are you able to browse to and see you pictures?

Do you use AOL?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just one or two ideas.

Have a read here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921048

Are you able to open any other jpeg files on your computer?

If you go into Paint on your computer on do file>open, are you able to browse to and see you pictures?

Do you use AOL?

When opening an image in paint, this error message appears. "Paint cannot read this file.This is not a valid bitmap, or it's format is not currently supported". JPEG images I have received via e-mail were sent to desktop. for some reason, they open up with no problem. I use AT&T DSL. I like what I saw in that link, I have extra DVD-R disks to copy to. I just have to dig out the O.S. disks (3 of them)and search for the correct file. Do you suggest I copy the entire computer, or just the registry? In case I have not stated it yet in my posts, I really appreciate the assistance and wish to thank each and every one who took the time to reply.

• Moderators

If you open Internet Explorer and do file>open>browse, can you view them then?

Have you tried installing an image viewer such as Irvan view or Picasa to try and restore the image opening associations?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi stewy,

Looks like now is the time to tell you about ERUNT and NTREGOPT.

You may have already seen discussions about these in the forum.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14264&st=0

Below is the link to the authors website.

For now you can use Windows and make a "restore point".

Then try the MS fix.

You can also try the pictures software Hazel has suggested.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm