registry cleaner help

Zeaf

hi, im new here on the forums and with the CCleaner product, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

i clicked on the scan for problems button in the registry tab thinking it wouldnt be so big. but when it finished scanning it is monsterous. and im a little afraid if i should have it all fixed or not. there is so much stuff in the list that i dont even know what most of it is. what exactly is the safest integrity area that i can fix without having to worry about it ruining the computer. thanks in advance.

Yes, it's normal to have a lot of invalid entries, if you haven't used a registry cleaner ever before. With CCleaner they should be very safe to delete, but make a backup, just in case. You get a backup confirmation, when go through the cleaning process.

thanks, guess i can go on with the fixing. what happens with the backup. where does it go and how do i use it if something does go wrong.

what happens with the backup. where does it go and how do i use it if something does go wrong.

Actually i don't know, cause i haven't ever backed up any entries (with CCleaner). But i guess that those backups will go to CCleaner folder and you can restore them from there.

Actually i don't know, cause i haven't ever backed up any entries (with CCleaner). But i guess that those backups will go to CCleaner folder and you can restore them from there.

alright, thanks so much. sorry that im being a newb with this. just worrying to much about this im sure. the CCleaner only lists unnecessary items right? i shouldnt really worry about what is being deleted by it?

Yep. CCleaner is one of the most safest programs, what it comes to registry cleaning. It's not so thorough scanner.

wow.... i hit fix selected issues, which all were selected, the window that poped up was saying there is over 800 things to fix good lord.

wow.... i hit fix selected issues, which all were selected, the window that poped up was saying there is over 800 things to fix good lord.

Did you make a backup?

You can expect a little performance boost, when you removed so much invalid entries from the registry.

BTW, now you should use a registry defrag: http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm

Did you make a backup?

You can expect a little performance boost, when you removed so much invalid entries from the registry.

yea i made a backup of it. it gave me the option of where to put it, so i just put it in the CCleaner folder. havnt hit the fix all just yet, going one by one but only at 30 lol. so i guess i should just hit fix all.

• Moderators

The backup for a registry 'issues' clean is saved by default in 'my documents'

The file will look like a bit of paper with blue blocks on it and end in .reg. It will have the date on it.

To restore the reg entries, right-click on it and choose merge.

If you rename the file to help you remember what it is before you use it, make sure you add .reg to the end so it will be saved as a .reg file.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

thanks hazelnut for the info. i kept the name of the file and just put it in the CCleaner folder.

and cee cee, i dont like to use any free online cleaner stuff. paranoid enough as it is with downloading free spyware cleaners and such lol.

and cee cee, i dont like to use any free online cleaner stuff. paranoid enough as it is with downloading free spyware cleaners and such lol.

If you mean that Registry Defrag, it's 100% clean. And it's not a cleaner, it defrags your registry.

...when information is deleted from the registry, holes are left which fragment the data within the registry. Registry compacting optimizes your registry by removing gaps and wasted space, thus improves the whole system performance.

If you mean that Registry Defrag, it's 100% clean. And it's not a cleaner, it defrags your registry.

...when information is deleted from the registry, holes are left which fragment the data within the registry. Registry compacting optimizes your registry by removing gaps and wasted space, thus improves the whole system performance.

so you are 100% sure that this is safe to use and recommended?

so you are 100% sure that this is safe to use and recommended?

Yes. You deleted 800 entries from registry, so there are now gaps to remove. Use the "Analyze" option first to see how fragmented your registry is. If it's more than 2%, then use "Compact/Defrag" to defrag. Reboot your computer, when it tells you to.

Edit: Of course i don't take any responsibility, in the case something goes wrong. It's up to you...

Yes. You deleted 800 entries from registry, so there are now gaps to remove. Use the "Analyze" option first to see how fragmented your registry is. If it's more than 2%, then use "Compact/Defrag" to defrag. Reboot your computer, when it tells you to.

Edit: Of course i don't take any responsibility, in the case something goes wrong. It's up to you...

hmm, just noticed it deleted those windows service pack update things. those are alright to have been deleted right? and thanks for the defrag thing ill try it out soon.

just want to thank you so much for helping me out with all this stuff. sorry that i was a newb with it.

You mean CCleaner? What service pack things?

yea, when doing the registry fix it, it removed or fixed the windows service pack2 things in the add/remove program thing that lists the programs that you have installed, it has like 10 or so service pack update things i believe it was. it had service pack 2 with numbers after it.

yea, when doing the registry fix it, it removed or fixed the windows service pack2 things in the add/remove program thing that lists the programs that you have installed, it has like 10 or so service pack update things i believe it was. it had service pack 2 with numbers after it.

You mean you ran the cleaner with the advanced 'Hotfix Uninstallers' box ticked (the reg cleaner was just cleaning up the reg entries left behind), It's generally not a good idea to blindly tick boxes in the advanced section without knowing what you're doing but you should be ok. It's just the uninstallers that have been removed, the hotfixes are still there, but if you needed to remove any you wouldn't be able to (as the uninstaller has gone).

Have a look at the CCleaner Beginners Guide, if you haven't already, for a better understanding of the various CCleaner options:

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

You mean you ran the cleaner with the advanced 'Hotfix Uninstallers' box ticked (the reg cleaner was just cleaning up the reg entries left behind), It's generally not a good idea to blindly tick boxes in the advanced section without knowing what you're doing but you should be ok. It's just the uninstallers that have been removed, the hotfixes are still there, but if you needed to remove any you wouldn't be able to (as the uninstaller has gone).

Have a look at the CCleaner Beginners Guide, if you haven't already, for a better understanding of the various CCleaner options:

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

no, that option (hotfix uninstallers) is in the cleaner tab area. the service pack things were removed from running the registry cleaner tab.

no, that option (hotfix uninstallers) is in the cleaner tab area. the service pack things were removed from running the registry cleaner tab.

But you first removed those "hotfix uninstallers", which left behind those invalid registry entries. Don't worry, it's ok. You just aren't able to uninstall those hotfixes (updates) anymore. MOST LIKELY there's no need for that anyway...