[[Template core/front/global/favico is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
CCleaner Community Forums

Defraggler Bugs


thm

Recommended Posts

One bug report to kick off the topic...

 

Version:

Defraggler 1.1.44 and 1.1.50

 

Bug severity:

Low (but but a little irritating)

 

Bug description:

Sometimes after effecting a defrag (via "defrag" button), I re-analyse

the relevant drive to see whether all files have indeed been defragmented.

Frequently Defraggler then reports all of the files I've just defragmented

as still fragmented, but if I re-run the analysis a few times it usually gets

it right and reports "This drive contains no fragmented files" (as expected).

Alternatively, just quitting and rerunning Defraggler [and then the analysis]

works correctly every time.

 

As indicated above, this is of no real consequence, but it is just a little irritating !

 

-thm

 

PS. Thanks for an excellent defragger, though !!! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Can you give us some examples of this, e.g. what the files are?

:)

MrRon

 

Well, the files are just ordinary ones. Nothing special that I can see.

 

For example, the easiest way of getting fragmented files on the boot

drive is to browse the 'net for a minute or two. I did this, and then ran

up Defraggler under debug and did the following...

 

1) Analyse C: - loads of files shown as fragmented

2) Selected all files & defragmented C: (via Defrag button)

- all files then showed as defragmented (i.e. just 1 fragment).

3) Re-ran Analyse on C: - Now all files showed as fragmented again ! :blink:

4) Re-ran Analyse on C: again...now all files shown as defragmented.

 

I've edited the log file to show these phases, and have attached it to this post

I've also captured a screenshot of Defraggler taken at stage 3, which lists

some of these files.

 

-thm

Defraggler.exe._1_1_50__2008_01_24_16_15_.txt

ScreenShot.zip

Defraggler.exe._1_1_50__2008_01_24_16_15_.txt

ScreenShot.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites
Can you give us some examples of this, e.g. what the files are?

:)

MrRon

 

Actually, something has just dawned on me :o ...I bet that all the files in question

were browser cache files, and the problem is that the browser is write-locking

them. I've tried the same exercise a few times but quitting the browser before

trying to effect a defrag, without problems. I shall investigate further...

 

-thm

 

[Edit]

...Nope that was too simple an answer: I'm still getting the same

effect [defragged files showing as fragmented after an Analyse]

even on some simple log files that I know are closed (coz I know

the application that generates them !).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I observed similar when I tested out Defraggler a couple of weeks ago - Analyse showed list of fragmented files, defrag, then shows all files in one fragment, analyse again and exact same files are showing fragmented again with exact same number of fragments as were there originally. Didn't test it further as it seemed pointless keeping it (and was only trying it out of curiousity as I'm completely happy with JKDefrag and Defraggler isn't even close to it, yet ;) ).

I assumed the program maybe just tells you all files are in one fragment even if they couldn't be defragged, but that would be a bit naughty so probably not the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: Analysis after Defrag not working correctly

 

...Ah...I think I am onto something...

 

I've done some further tests, using Dave Whitney's defrag utility at...

http://www.flexomizer.com/PermaLink,guid,c...2145cc1957.aspx

 

...as this has the capability to *fragment* files - good for subsequently testing defraggers !

 

Anyway, what I've found is that if I *deselect* the files in the list after a Defrag then a

subsequent Analyse run will consistently [and correctly] report that there are no defragmented

files.

 

Hope this provides a pointer to the source of the problem !

 

-thm

 

PS. to generate fragments in a test folder, use Whitney's defrag tool like this:-

wdefrag -s -b d:\testfolder\*.*

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
RE: Analysis after Defrag not working correctly

 

...Ah...I think I am onto something...

 

I've done some further tests, using Dave Whitney's defrag utility at...

http://www.flexomizer.com/PermaLink,guid,c...2145cc1957.aspx

 

...as this has the capability to *fragment* files - good for subsequently testing defraggers !

 

Anyway, what I've found is that if I *deselect* the files in the list after a Defrag then a

subsequent Analyse run will consistently [and correctly] report that there are no defragmented

files.

 

Hope this provides a pointer to the source of the problem !

 

-thm

 

PS. to generate fragments in a test folder, use Whitney's defrag tool like this:-

wdefrag -s -b d:\testfolder\*.*

 

...sad to say this hasn't turned out to be totally reliable either: even if I do deselect the

files in a list after a Defrag, a subsequent Analysis sometimes still erroneously

reports files as fragmented when they aren't.

 

-thm

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...