Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

Had a go with 1.1.44 (BETA) and it seems to work fine. The ability to defragment a single, large file is potentially useful.

Couple of suggestions:

At the moment it can take a long time to respond to the [stop] command. If it is working on a big file, it seems to complete it before stopping - which can take some time (minutes in some cases). Windows defrag always stops instantly. It would be nice if Defraggler also responded straight away - presumably leaving the file it was working on in whatever semi-defragmented state it had got to.

Another option that would be useful would be to bring all the free space together into one block after the files have been defragmented (Windows defrag calls it "compacting"). Otherwise, if you are short on free space and that free space is itself fragmented, then the next time you create a largish file, it will be fragmented right from the start.

Thanks

Stuart

We're currently looking at improving the stopping speed for larger files and hope to include a fix for this in the next release.

:)

MrRon

Another option that would be useful would be to bring all the free space together into one block after the files have been defragmented (Windows defrag calls it "compacting"). Otherwise, if you are short on free space and that free space is itself fragmented, then the next time you create a largish file, it will be fragmented right from the start.

Thanks

Stuart

--I think you will find that if you defrag the drive (right-click on drive name)

then Defraggler will attempt to defrag the freespace after it has defragged

the files. It's not perfect and sometimes takes a couple of goes, but it is

reasonably effective and a good compromise between speed and completeness.

- thm

another suggestion would be to show the file being defragged on the bar situated at the bottom of the screen.... and an all time favorite, and performance must have, pagefile (be it offline or not) defrag :rolleyes:

thanks

yours trully, Garrett :D

Edit: also moderators it would be great if u could please make this topic pined so that everyone could post their sugestions or feature reqsts in one place

I think your theory is reversed. Doesn't it take less time to seek data if it store on a ring/layer that is closer to the center? The circumference (the edge of a circle) is smaller the closer you are - C=2(pi)r. Smaller radii would be closer to the center. 1 cm vs 5 cm.

AJ

Here is a very simple [but hopefully useful suggestion]...

It would be good to have two Defrag buttons, for example

"Defrag Selected"

"Defrag All Files"

...the "Defrag Selected" button would act as the "Defrag" button

does now, but the "Defrag All Files" button would effectively

select all files and launch a defrag in one click. Call me lazy,

but after effecting an analysis I would prefer not to have to

go over to select all files and then back to the existing Defrag button.

Maybe an even simpler thing to do would be to select all fragmented

files by default after an analysis. After all, if you don't want to do this

you would have to click around on those files that you do want to defrag,

(so one more click to deselect the "all" box wouldn't make much difference)

but it would make things a bit slicker for those that usually want to defrag

them all !

Opinions ??

-thm

Further to my earlier post (of a few minutes ago), here is another

suggestion as a possible alternative...

1) Leave the "Defrag" button as it is, but...

2) Change the right-click context menu on a drive to replace the current

"Defrag Drive" [which currently defrags files and freespace] with

three entries: "Defrag Files" [which would just do all the files],

"Defrag Freespace" [which would just compact the freespace], and

"Defrag Files + Freespace"

Would this be a better suggestion to my previous one ??

-thm

I think your theory is reversed. Doesn't it take less time to seek data if it store on a ring/layer that is closer to the center? The circumference (the edge of a circle) is smaller the closer you are - C=2(pi)r. Smaller radii would be closer to the center. 1 cm vs 5 cm.

AJ

Yes but the disk head has to move further to the centre of the disk giving a slower read time. The fastest part of the disk is the outer edge.

It still doesn't make sense to me....the drive head is moving ridiculously fast anyway, isn't it? Wouldn't it be only, at worst, tenths of a second difference?

Yes but we are only talking milliseconds anyway.

--I think you will find that if you defrag the drive (right-click on drive name)

then Defraggler will attempt to defrag the freespace after it has defragged

the files. It's not perfect and sometimes takes a couple of goes, but it is

reasonably effective and a good compromise between speed and completeness.

- thm

Uh?..Ive never seen Defraggler after right-clicking on a drive...Am i missing something here?

Uh?..Ive never seen Defraggler after right-clicking on a drive...Am i missing something here?

...Ah...perhaps I wasn't very clear: you need to right-click on the drive's

name in the Defraggler window to get to this context menu.

The attached screenshot should make this unambiguous...;)

-thm

Where_to_Right_Click.zip

Where_to_Right_Click.zip

• 3 weeks later...
It still doesn't make sense to me....the drive head is moving ridiculously fast anyway, isn't it? Wouldn't it be only, at worst, tenths of a second difference?

LOL...screw normal harddrives - Solid State Drives ftw!

AJ

The speed is probably noticeable if you are reading/writing large, continuous file. Since the disk is spinning at a constant speed, one revolution covers several times more distance at the edge of the disk than at the center, so the read/write speed is a lot higher at the edge.

Auto-Update Feature: Just like CCleaner has, that way it is easier to keep up-to-date. Also, make options in a feature to let you know if the update is Beta or a Major Release.

Portable Version: Just like CCleaner has so that when the program is installed, there is nothing left on the host computer, including an association that lists the program in the Add/Remove Programs list.

Registry Defrag: Add an item in the list that shows the drives to defrag that lets you also defrag the registry upon reboot. Also add an option to automatically defrag the registry and auto-reboot after defragmentation of the selected drive is complete.

Perhaps add options to do one of the following once defrag of the current drive is complete:

- Close Program

- Log Off User

- Shut Down

- Restart

And make it possible to queue other drives for defrag. For example, I could set it to defrag my internal hard drive first. Once complete, begin defrag of my external hard drive, then defrag my USB drive.

Add a feature to run a scheduled defrag every day, week or month. I know this is possible thru a feature already included in Windows but integration of the scheduling feature would be nice.

Since this is a BETA software program and touching the REGISTY is almost blasphemy, LOL, is it really wise for us to be using a BETA program on our delicate and sancorsant registries? :unsure:

I just wonder about the logic and wisdom of such an act. No offense or disrespect intended as I love PIRIFORM immensely, truly. :D

Since this is a BETA software program and touching the REGISTY is almost blasphemy, LOL, is it really wise for us to be using a BETA program on our delicate and sancorsant registries? :unsure:

I just wonder about the logic and wisdom of such an act. No offense or disrespect intended as I love PIRIFORM immensely, truly. :D

How about addin the option to just defragment the free space, instead of waiting fo it to defragment files first. This can be useful if you are defragmenting a portable USB Thumb Drive.

Do you really notice a difference if a flash drive is fragmented? I never have, but I don't think mine are very fragmented either.

Since this is a BETA software program and touching the REGISTY is almost blasphemy, LOL, is it really wise for us to be using a BETA program on our delicate and sancorsant registries?

That is for you to decide and is the decision you take when using/testing any beta software.

The Regsitry Defrag can be put in a Stable Version. A Beta version with that feature can be released to testers with a warning that it is Beta and the feature may or may not work properly. TuneUp Utilities has a RegDefrag Option but I would rather have that option in a portable, lightweight version that a large suite of apps that TuneUp has.

Great product so far!

I know that this is nitpicky, but can you update the status bar when doing a defrag (most useful when doing a drive or multi-file defrag) to show which file is currently being defragged?

When I run a full defrag, it sometimes takes a long time for an individual file to defrag, so it would be nice to have a realtime status of what file is taking so long to defrag.

• 2 weeks later...