"Unexplained" Forces Keep Mars Rovers Moving

Humpty

A 90 day mission still going strong after 4 years? :blink:B)

Such is the case with NASA's investigation of the ongoing puzzle of the Martian rovers. On Jan. 4, 2004, the rover Spirit landed on Mars, followed three weeks later by Opportunity. The two robots were given an expected lifespan of 90 days to gather as much scientific data as possible. Four years later, both rovers are still going strong, much to the astonishment of NASA and scientists around the world.

"We never thought we'd still be driving these robots all over Mars," said Mark Lemmon, a planetary scientist at Texas A&M University and member of the rover science team. "We joked about driving Opportunity into Victoria Crater, but now we're there, and we're looking at doing even more science. Each day they still work is an amazing one."

The rovers have provided continuous surprises since the outset. When their missions began, their solar cells were providing 900 watt-hours of electricity per day. Over the months that followed Spirit's output dropped to 400 watt-hours daily, while Opportunity dropped to about 500 watt-hours. A primary reason for the drop was the accumulation of dust on the panels. But then, to the amazement of mission scientists, Opportunity's power began to INCREASE, and kept on increasing until the power peaked at just over 900 watt-hours.

Mars Rovers Article and some other good articles.

I've always enjoyed space and missions to other planets. That's why I've started to play EVE Online, because I perfer the complexity and space theme of the game over others such as World of Warcraft.

Great to hear how these rovers are still going.

AJ

• Moderators
I've always enjoyed space and missions to other planets. That's why I've started to play EVE Online, because I perfer the complexity and space theme of the game over others such as World of Warcraft.

Great to hear how these rovers are still going.

AJ

I know what you mean, I am hooked on Mass Effect right now.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key