Reformat Question

docta13

I am going to reformat a Dell computer for a friend of mine, but she doesn't have the XP reinstall CD (she has the Home edition) or the Drivers CD. I figure I can get around this pretty easy but I just wanted to make sure. Would I be able to reinstall XP by using any copy of Windows XP Home edition, even if it's not from Dell?

and also, since she doesn't have the Drivers CD, I could probably just use her service tag number to log into Dell's support center and find all the necessary drivers there, correct? thanks!

I am going to reformat a Dell computer for a friend of mine, but she doesn't have the XP reinstall CD (she has the Home edition) or the Drivers CD. I figure I can get around this pretty easy but I just wanted to make sure. Would I be able to reinstall XP by using any copy of Windows XP Home edition, even if it's not from Dell?

yes...

and also, since she doesn't have the Drivers CD, I could probably just use her service tag number to log into Dell's support center and find all the necessary drivers there, correct? thanks!

i not sure about this... but if you install windows xp service pack 2, there is a wizard that allow you to update your drivers...

--==aGumon==--

Yes; it needs to be XP Home (OEM) version, not retail, nor upgrade.

The answer to your second question is also yes. XP SP2 won't help with drivers as much as one would think (especially with 3rd-party OEM machines).

I do what you are asking every single day, so if you need any assistance, let me know.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

The answer to your second question is also yes. XP SP2 won't help with drivers as much as one would think (especially with 3rd-party OEM machines).

apologies for my ignorance...

--==aGumon==--

docta13 is only going to install the version of Windows he/she has a license for. XP Pro cannot be installed and IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO THE QUESTION AT HAND. Besides, Mac OS X is preferred over Windows XP Professional. >:P

format C: /u? what the hell? Why would this be necessary?

/u doesn't exist inside of Windows NT 5+ anymore (unless it's undocumented -- and I'm sure not going to experiment to find out) and if you're referring to DOS, there's no reason to do this since SETUP has a partitioning utility built in, ever since NT 4... and nobody needs to boot to DOS anymore.. so, please explain.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Mac OS X is preferred over Windows XP Professional.

why Mac OS X have to do in this thread...? :lol:

anyway... Windows XP Professional is not always require... most home user do not need the additional functions that comes with Windows XP Pro (like me myself)... but i am using it... :lol: so no point spending another hundred bucks where there is a home edition of windows XP really to be install...

--==aGumon==--

Mac OS X is the best operating system I've ever used.

That is true about pro and all, but to continue in context with this thread, it cannot be used -- Dell did not supply an XP Pro license. Thread closed. ;)

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

• Moderators

If you want to reformat to put in a different OS (Example from Win98SE to XP) then you want a 98SE boot disk and do format c: /s

But if you are just reformatting to have everything fresh, just pop in the CD, boot to CD, and let it do the rest.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key