CCleaner.exe - corrupt file

SuzeW

Hi. :D

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I am not totally sure about how I go about asking for help & advice.

Anyway here goes.

My PC system runs on Windows XP Pro SP2. I have Internet Explorer 7 installed. And today I have had numerous messages about CCleaner.exe - corrupt file, and being told to run Chkdsk.

I have run Chkdsk every time the error message has come up and have even uninstalled & reinstalled CCleaner v.2.03.532 and yet I am still getting these corrupt file messages.

The exact message reads:

CCleaner.exe - corrupt file.

The file or directory\Documents and Settings\Susa Waugh.SUSAN-FF6ABE843\ local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3D5YZM97 is corrupt and unreadable.

Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Can anyone offer any help & advice.

Regards, SuzeW

The file or directory\Documents and Settings\Susa Waugh.SUSAN-FF6ABE843\ local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3D5YZM97 is corrupt and unreadable.

Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Can anyone offer any help & advice.

Regards, SuzeW

Suze,

From the directory structure, it looks to me like you have, at some time, reinstalled Windows over itself possibly to repair Windows. Is this true? If so this could be a bug with CCleaner that maybe the software writers aren't aware of yet. For this particular situation, I would see if I could browse to that directory and delete the file manually. That should tell you if the problem is in CCleaner. If the files are locked in that directory there is a utility called "UnLocker" that is able to delete almost anything. It's definitely a program to use with caution because you could end up deleting a system file and make Windows not boot. In this case anything to do with the Temp Internet files you should be able to delete without any problems related to Windows.

As far as your Windows Installation goes however, if you did reinstall Windows over itself, I would back up all your data and do a "Clean" or "Fresh" install. Even if reinstalling Windows over itself worked so far for you, it never seems to last very long once you start installing new programs. Windows can't seem to get past that little dot.

In your case "\Documents and Settings\Susa Waugh.SUSAN-FF6ABE843\ local Settings" but what would make Windows smoother is "\Documents and Settings\Susa Waugh\ local Settings". I'm a tech that does this sort of thing quite a bit and in fact I usually try to name a computer during the install with just a single name, ie: "Susa", "Waugh", or "Owner". You would think after all this time Microsoft would have noticed this and tried some sort of fix.

If you have any other questions or need help with backups, feel free post again here, as the folks on this board are pretty friendly and helpful. Or contact me at my own site, VicLovan.com.

Good Luck,

Vic

• 1 year later...

I have this same problem..and the above response wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped (but thanks!)

When I run Ccleaner, i get a notifcation that there is a corrupted file in the temporary internet files\IE5 folder\L0N56724 (or something close to that)

The folder cannot be deleted (even using Unlocker). I've set Ccleaner to run on startup too, hoping this would catch the problem, but it does not.

Has anyone found a fix to this problem?

I have this same problem..and the above response wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped (but thanks!)

When I run Ccleaner, i get a notifcation that there is a corrupted file in the temporary internet files\IE5 folder\L0N56724 (or something close to that)

The folder cannot be deleted (even using Unlocker). I've set Ccleaner to run on startup too, hoping this would catch the problem, but it does not.

Has anyone found a fix to this problem?

OKay, I have this same problem, just started today, and posted a topic about it.

Mine says the same but:

C:\DocumentsandSettings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\TemporaryInternet Files\Content.IE5\1NCW2Q0R\menu8[1].ttm

I have not done any updating, reinstalling or changed anything with any programs at all except for uninstalling and reinstalling of CCleaner after this problem started this morning without correcting the problem. Thought maybe a personal setting I checked was the culprit, so I did the un and reinstall to go back to default settings.

When trying to locate this file...I don't even have a Local Settings file in C:\DocumentsandSettings\Compaq_Owner...so what's going on?

Try emptying out Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files to see if that fixes the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897

No, this doesn't change anything. I don't know about everyone else, but I do this all the time, and isn't CCleaner supposed to delete these anyway?

This does not fix the problem. Is there something we need to do here to give everyone more information to help solve this problem?

This morning it seems it may have stopped doing this so far. I did an analyzation of files that can be cleaned, and it did not bring up the error message. Now, mind you, that I did not clean these files out. Due to Mother's Day, I am keeping certain tracking pages up.