Cleaning Tray Notification Cache

EricG

Hi

I am using the latest version of CC;leaner with Windows XP Home SP2. I have the Tray Notification Cache checked and CCleaner set to run on startup yet it doesn't ever seem to clear this cache.

The beginners guide states

Tray Notifications Cache

In Windows XP the System Tray (the set of icons next to the clock in the bottom-right corner) orders and hides items automatically for you. Whilst this is useful, it records a list of every program that has been run from the tray. This option clears the list of previous programs and removes any custom display/hide options. (Warning: This won't have any affect until you manually restart the explorer process from the Task Manager.)

How do I do this?

EricG

You can either reboot or bring up Taskmanager and end the explorer.exe task then go to File then select New task ( Run) and enter explorer then click OK.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

You can either reboot or bring up Taskmanager and end the explorer.exe task then go to File then select New task ( Run) and enter explorer then click OK.

Thanks

Re-booting doesn't seem to work but ending explorer in task manager and then restarting it did.

Am I correct in assuming that with this item checked in CCleaner to run at startup it should clean this cache every time I boot up? Currently it doesn't appear to do that.

EricG

Thanks

Re-booting doesn't seem to work but ending explorer in task manager and then restarting it did.

Am I correct in assuming that with this item checked in CCleaner to run at startup it should clean this cache every time I boot up? Currently it doesn't appear to do that.

As YoKenny states, clearing the notification tray cache in Windows XP is actually a two-step process...always. Step 1 is to check the Tray Notification Cache in the Advanced section and then run CCleaner. Step 2 is to go to Task Manager, end Explorer.exe, then (still in Task Manager) click File, select New Task, and enter Explorer.exe

If you execute step 1 at startup without immediately following it up with step 2, the notification cache won't be cleaned. I believe step 2 is necessary not because of a feature problem with CCleaner, but rather because of the way Windows operates. It is my understanding the entries in the notification tray cache come from two values in the registry that CCleaner edits. However, Windows recreates those values automatically on a reboot if you don't do step 2.

As YoKenny states, clearing the notification tray cache in Windows XP is actually a two-step process...always. Step 1 is to check the Tray Notification Cache in the Advanced section and then run CCleaner. Step 2 is to go to Task Manager, end Explorer.exe, then (still in Task Manager) click File, select New Task, and enter Explorer.exe

If you execute step 1 at startup without immediately following it up with step 2, the notification cache won't be cleaned. I believe step 2 is necessary not because of a feature problem with CCleaner, but rather because of the way Windows operates. It is my understanding the entries in the notification tray cache come from two values in the registry that CCleaner edits. However, Windows recreates those values automatically on a reboot if you don't do step 2.

Thanks.

EricG

This feature isn't available on Vista machines and I think I know why. Microsoft moved the registry key somewhere else, but I've tracked it down. The new position is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify. I deleted what was in there and restarted explorer and that did the trick. Would be nice to see this fixed in future versions.