Freeware IRC client

Any suggestions on an IRC client? I have never used one before, but would like to start trying one out. Which should i give a spin to become familiar with? As well, is it worth paying for one? Do they make any difference?

Thanks! :)

• Moderators

I use pidgin with aim/msn and it does really well with those. Its easy to use and looks nice.

It does irc too but I'm not into chat rooms so I've never tried it with IRC. It would be the first one I would try though. :D

If you use firefox they have a IRC client/extension called Chatzilla. I tried it a few years ago and it works well. Its only 311Kb and can be opened either by itself (ie. in a new window) or as a tab.

ChatZilla provides all the usual IRC client features: multiple servers, a built-in list of standard networks, easy searching and sorting of available channels, logging, and DCC chat and file transfers, plus easy customization with JavaScript plug-ins and CSS styling.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

If you have never used a chat client before you might want to check out Meebo. Meebo is an online chat client. You can use it for Aim, Yahoo, MSN, and Google Talk. It has most of the basic feature of a regular chat client including sending files and even video chat and voice chat now. No install because it's online. Just log on and use from any computer.

http://wwwm.meebo.com/

Thanks guys. I use msn, yahoo, myspace and imvu, but i hadnt tried irc yet and am curious. i checked out mirc and its 20 bucks for a lifetime membership, so i may try that or maybe miranda.

i use mIRC. you don't have to pay for it. it's free even though it's kinda annoying to get the program started since it begs you to pay for it. i also use NoNameScript for it.

as for Miranda, i use it for everything but IRC. i like the ability to have a tabbed IRC interface with the ability to minimize to tray.