Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter

Jamex

I get the message, "Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter," when i try to turn on my moms old computer, and i dont know what to do. Its really old, and when i put the wnidows 98 operating disk in, nothing happens. It doesnt seem to be responding. She also has norton system go back, and it doesnt seem to be working either. Ive tried everything i could. It doesnt seem to be able to reinstall though. I dont know...

Could someone help me out?

• Moderators

With Windows 98 you may actually need the Windows 98 Startup Disk, it's just a floppy bootdisk with needed files and CD-ROM drivers. It can be freely downloaded at:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

To reinstall Windows 98 when using the Windows 98 Startup Disk:

1. Insert the Windows 98 Startup Disk, then turn the computer on.

2. When a menu appears tell it to load with the options to start with CD-ROM support.

3. Then once the command prompt appears type in your CD-ROM drive letter and then setup.exe.

Example: E:\setup.exe

Replace E: with your actual CD-ROM drive letter, and do note in MS-DOS mode drive letters can be bumped around and change.

Edit: Before attempting to reinstall Windows you may want to try starting the system using the Startup Disk! That way you could backup any needed files first, etc.

Have you just tried reseting the tower?

Mine has been doing that as of late, and it usually is fixed when I hit the reset button my tower.

Have you tried holding the power button on your pc for 5 seconds (until your pc turns off) then turning it back on again? I don't know if these suggestions would work, but they're worth a shot, right?

#1 98 is not xp boot from A floppy CD no to go to new see txt on floppy or CD try E:\setup.exe [ if CD is E may not work may need to try D see the txt all so you can go to new with ' FORMAT C: /s ' the is for system to setup to new this is the best as if you do FORMAT C: you get no setup next is#2 E:\WIN98 ' OR E:WIN98\Setup you said it the boot you can fix the boot & not go to new with A floppy or fix with XP CD hit the R key pick make new boot or www.Ultimatebootcd.com it free PS I think setup in BOIS Boot A Floppy put floppy in start PC most times it fix if not read the help & the txt.

Three possibles

1. The CMOS has lost its boot settings and you need to re edit the cmos

2. The cmos boot settings are set to boot other devices first and you have a non bootable image in them

3. The cmos is fine and the boot device has become corrupted