Audio Device

sandsweakley

Can anyone tell me what to do to get sound back on my computer? I have done it all . When I tried to extract the audio device it got to almost the end of the file & said error message 40 whatever that means. Every driver site I go to it says I have to pay & those I have downloaded do not work. When I tried to open them, or they just plain do not work. So I am at a loss as to what to do next. I just know I cannot not open the Analog Device 198 x intergrated audio on my cd. Thanks for any help.

PS I even tried new speakers but it's not that.

• Moderators

Try this thread:

* fixing your sound TUT

You should probably go into the Device Manager and make sure there aren't any Yellow Exclamation signs. Sometimes just uninstalling the non-working device from inside of Device Manager, followed by a prompt reboot will cause Windows to re-detect the device. You may or will need either the Windows install CD or the device install CD if doing things this way, however it's a common known fix.

Instructions for how to get into the Device Manager.

Try this thread:

* fixing your sound TUT

You should probably go into the Device Manager and make sure there aren't any Yellow Exclamation signs. Sometimes just uninstalling the non-working device from inside of Device Manager, followed by a prompt reboot will cause Windows to re-detect the device. You may or will need either the Windows install CD or the device install CD if doing things this way, however it's a common known fix.

Instructions for how to get into the Device Manager.

Thanks Andavari for all the advice. Wish I could say it helped but not so. I used the cd for installing & even did a systems restore but still nothing. Guess I will just do without sound for awhile but thanks anyway.

• Moderators
Thanks Andavari for all the advice. Wish I could say it helped but not so. I used the cd for installing & even did a systems restore but still nothing. Guess I will just do without sound for awhile but thanks anyway.

Well with some soundcards like mine you can't simply install the drivers from the Windows CD. In my case if I did that I'd have no sound whatsoever, and actually have to install two totally different softwares for there to be any sound which is rather strange.

It may be worth a look on your PC manufacturer website for the drivers software download for your particular sound card, because the Windows install CD may just be using some generic driver.