Converting to Mpeg4/Mp3 for portable video player

DennisD

• Moderators

Looking for alternative freeware/open source applications for converting FLV, DivX etc to Mpeg4/Mp3 format.

I've been having some success with MediaCoder (open source), but any other suggestions would be appreciated. The player actually handles "MPEG4 & AVC (H.264) Baseline", although after googling a bit I think those two tags may mean the same thing.

Thanks.

• Moderators
I got this old bookmark for an online file conversion site. Convert everything!

Perhaps it'll be useful.

Zamzar.com

Only free for up to 100MB though.

Hi, and thanks for the input, thats a new one on me, and I've bookmarked it. Might, as you say, come in useful sometime.

The only way to go is AVISynth and using directshow filters for video, and something like belight / besweet for audio and a decent muxing utility. All these other mickey mouse applications IMHO wont have the flexibility to do the things that will need to be done to prevent having a bad transcode.

• Moderators
The only way to go is AVISynth and using directshow filters for video, and something like belight / besweet for audio and a decent muxing utility. All these other mickey mouse applications IMHO wont have the flexibility to do the things that will need to be done to prevent having a bad transcode.

Thanks for your input Caldor, I'm using directshow filters in Super via the "Directshow Decode" setting, and I'm getting results I'm more than happy with.

Can get good results with MediaCoder as well, so that's me sorted.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Hi Woody, and welcome to the forum.

Although this is a commercial app, it does have an interesting feature I haven't seen before on freeware. (Why do I have a feeling someone may put me right on that?)

Applauded year after year by the international press, Tunebite has established itself with users around the world as the #1, easy-to-operate solution for legally removing DRM copy protection from digital entertainment.

Tunebite Classic lets you free music and audio books from the shackles of DRM. Tunebite Premium lets you convert both DRM copy-protected and unprotected audio files into today's standard formats and brings you the power of audio stream recording as well. Tunebite Platinum takes the final step, offering you the features of Tunebite Premium plus the ability to convert DRM copy-protected and unprotected video formats.

Anyone having a large collection of purchased music/video might find this useful.

Tunebite:

You should try Tunebite, too, it's a great converter, it converts audio and video files, protected and unprotected. I use it for while, I didn't have any probl em with it by now. :rolleyes:

If that post had a link I'd have reported it as spam (may still be). I'm always suspicious of a user joining just to recommend a pay-for software <_<

• 2 weeks later...
If that post had a link I'd have reported it as spam (may still be). I'm always suspicious of a user joining just to recommend a pay-for software <_<

Hy JD,

I'm sorry for posting my opinion regarding the converter I use. Indeed, you may report my post as a spam, but what about the others who really posted the links for their converters??? :huh:

Hy JD,

I'm sorry for posting my opinion regarding the converter I use. Indeed, you may report my post as a spam, but what about the others who really posted the links for their converters??? :huh:

Well it usually is a sign of spam when a user registers just to post a 'recommendation' for a payware program. It's usually with a link though (hence why I never reported it) but we have had some less obvious spammers recently so you never know.