Lost DVD Burner drivers

tomworld9

Hi,

I have a problem that I am uncertain about. I think it may have been caused by CCleaner. I used the program about a week ago on my desktop work computer and was so pleased with the results that I downloaded the program to my media computer.

Over the last 5 days the dvd burners on both computers have stopped reading media goiving the following information when I try to reinstall the drivers : "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)". I cannot access the drives and I cannot boot from my windows XP home edition disk. I am not sure that choosing an old back-up date is going to solve this problem. could someone please advise. I am in the process of burning xmas presents and would like to finish soon.

Thanks

Hi Tom.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with CCleaner.

Try this.

click on start. click on My Computer. right click on dvd drive icon.

click on Properties. click on Hardware tab.click on dvd drive in list.

Down on bottom at Device usage select deice enable. click OK.

Now point to next drive you want to enable and do the same.

Not sure but you may have to restart to load the drivers. GOOD LUCK!!!Come back and let us know how it went. :unsure: davey

P.S. Don't burn too many Christmas presents. The Fire Dept. and Santa might get upset. :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Tom.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with CCleaner.

Try this.

click on start. click on My Computer. right click on dvd drive icon.

click on Properties. click on Hardware tab.click on dvd drive in list.

Down on bottom at Device usage select deice enable. click OK.

Now point to next drive you want to enable and do the same.

Not sure but you may have to restart to load the drivers. GOOD LUCK!!!Come back and let us know how it went. :unsure: davey

P.S. Don't burn too many Christmas presents. The Fire Dept. and Santa might get upset. :lol::lol::lol:

Davey,

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately there is no drive to right click from the "my computer" prompt. As I said before the message I get when I search through my hardware and try to enable the drive is "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)". My next move is to do a system restore. If you can make any other suggestions...

Since the same problem occurred on both my computers within a week, I am thinking the CCleaner is the culprit. When I load disks in to the drive the "read" light goes on, but unfortunately no action. Both of these drives are less than a year old, so they don't have a lot of miles on them.

Let me know if I should try anything else...

Tom

Hi Tom,

EDITED 12/19/2007 6:61 AM EST TIME USA

A quick note to inform you that I forgot to ask about your system specs, etc.

Have you tried restarting in safe mode by clicking on F8 while rebooting?

Sure you can try a system restore. I wonder how your devices got uninstalled.

If that doesn't work click on My Computer click on View System Information click on Support Information.There you get your tag info and then contact your manufacturer web site. You should be able to reinstall what you need from there without need of a cd drive.Apparently right now your system doen't even know it has REmovable Storage drives.I will be looking into this.

If this problem re-occurs you may have picked up some malware somewhere.There have been some coming from phony link websites advertising free "burning" software.

If this is related we need to know your specs and related circumstances to track down a problem.

I even uninstalled some of my own drives and everything was restored when I restarted.The system recognized "newly installed" hardware and reset everything.Iwent to my computer and there were my drives back again.

As you can tell I hunt and peck type but I wanted to get back to you as quickly as possible.Let me know whatever happens Ok? Good Luck! :) davey

thanks for the advice, but still no go...I followed these directions in the registrey editor:

"There should be many keys called {4D36E965E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE 1 0318}

If you want to export a copy of the values, select File => Export and enter a suitable filename, which will be saved as a .reg file that can be restored just by clicking on it. When you select a particular key, in the right window, for some of them, you should see keys called UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Select each such entry in turn, right-click with the mouse on it, and click Delete. After closing the Registry Editor, you should be able to use the CD/DVD drive again. However, you may have to reinstall software that accesses the drive, such as CD writers and DVD players."

as directed and set about going through every entry in each of the specified keys that indicated anything to do with the internal drives. For each I closed the editor and refreshed the "my computer" prompt to see if a drive would show--to no avail...

Next?

O my media computer I have attemped to install a new dvd drive, but am running into some set-up problems...

how many strikes is that????

hope someone has a solution soon

Tom

Tom,

did you try restarting after making your registry changes .your system has to recognize "new HARDware" to recreate device info. then look in "My COMPUTER"

Your kidding me..that could take days to go through every entry, delete it, reboot, and then see if the drive shows up. The directions made no such mention of rebooting the system after each deletion. Anyway my computer finds the hardware the code 32 error doesn't allow me to use it. There fore it doesn't show up in "my computer"

Thanks for your input

Tom

Hi TOM,

No TOM I was rephrasing what Microsoft says to do after making your Registry changes.Look at the link Hazel gave you for the Microsoft references. Restart after making all your changes not each change. Good Luck,davey

• Moderators

Your PC manufacturer "may have software downloads" to automatically re-detect non-working devices due to registry programs, etc., and fix them without ever touching the registry. I know Dell did or does, so others "might" as well.

You may also want to look at some of the CD repairs here (just search for the word CD on those pages in your browser):

* http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

* http://dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html

Hi Andavari,

I have been doing a lot of research this morning also.. Your second link to

http://dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html

In right hand list " RESTORE CD/DVD DRIVES TO EXPLORER"

worked for me ..I am not sure what he does in the program i.e. Fix any registry settings or just uninstall the devices then search for new hardware but it worked earlier for me. Kelly has a link to dougknox.com program like you said. KELLY is a good "fix" website too. However Microsoft may recommend reboot to go through all the related software for other related drivers etc.

From all I read this morn, there a lot of media type devices CD, DVD, WEBCAM,audio,media players etc. that can go haywire when old media type software or drivers are removed or attempted to be removed.Some solutions are as simple as uninstall the CODE 32 device in DEVICE MANAGER and then use Search for New Hardware in the tool bar and restart to solve the problem.

Some other fixes were put old software back until able to get a fix.

All the problems have same message" A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

DELL support "online or live" has been great to me.

TOM IS TIGHT ON TIME. I hope we can get him going soon.

A good day is a day when you can learn something new. I've had a good day (night / morn).

I also to try to avoid playing with the Registry.Thats why I like how gentle CCleaner is with the Registry. Most other reported problems in other reg cleaners are nothing to be worried about.

Thanks for your valuable input and knowledgeable advice. :) davey

Still can't figure out why the drive(s) won't record....

anyone???

Thanks

Tom

Hi TOM,

There are some pretty savy MEDIA users on this forum.

Please post back some info about your devices and the media software you are using.

Are we still talking about WIN XP SP2 MEDIA CENTER system?

:) davey

• Moderators
Still can't figure out why the drive(s) won't record....

anyone???

Thanks

Tom

This is all guessing at this point on my part!

"The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service may be disabled." I've read before on these very forums where someone uninstalled a CD/DVD burning program, and in doing so it disabled the burning of discs.

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Description:

Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

To enable IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to the Microsoft default setting:

(I don't know if your version of Windows supports this, or not as this info is what I gathered from my WinXP Pro SP2 system)

1. Click Start, Run, and type in: Services.msc

2. Scroll down to IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, and then double click it.

3. Make sure the Startup type is set to Manual, then click Apply.

4. Restart Windows.

5. Try your burner drives again.

Edit: Some tip sites state that the Startup type in #3 listed above could also be set to: Automatic

Screenshot of the Microsoft default setting:

i434_imapi.png

Other than that this Google.com search has pleanty of links:

how to enable IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

This is all guessing at this point on my part!

"The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service may be disabled." I've read before on these very forums where someone uninstalled a CD/DVD burning program, and in doing so it disabled the burning of discs.

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Description:

To enable IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to the Microsoft default setting:

(I don't know if your version of Windows supports this, or not as this info is what I gathered from my WinXP Pro SP2 system)

1. Click Start, Run, and type in: Services.msc

2. Scroll down to IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, and then double click it.

3. Make sure the Startup type is set to Manual, then click Apply.

4. Restart Windows.

5. Try your burner drives again.

Edit: Some tip sites state that the Startup type in #3 listed above could also be set to: Automatic

Screenshot of the Microsoft default setting:

i434_imapi.png

Thanks for the help with the drive it no appears to be in a position to record, however when I use Nero 6 I get a "drive Failed" error message, after which I can only record images. I have checked out the links you have included and switched the start-up type to Automatic, as it was previously at manual and some of the other links suggested I try automatic.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

• Moderators

One thing to do which is commonly recommended is to:

1. Unplug the PC from the electrical outlet.

2. Press the PC's Power On button for about 20 seconds to dissipate the electricity built up in the unit (don't skip this step).

3. Open the PC case, then with one hand touch the metal chassis inside to make sure you won't shock the components which could ruin them.

4. One at a time disconnect/unplug everything, and then plug them back it. Put the PC case back on or close it.

5. Plug the PC back into the electrical outlet and see if it was just a loose connection.

If it isn't a loose connection perhaps you can grab another drive from another PC such as an old PC just laying about to test it and perhaps then that would let you know if it's the writer drive that's failing.

It isn't uncommon for CD/DVD drives to go kaput after a couple of years of usage, but then again that's true for practically all consumer electronics.

One thing to do which is commonly recommended is to:

1. Unplug the PC from the electrical outlet.

2. Press the PC's Power On button for about 20 seconds to dissipate the electricity built up in the unit (don't skip this step).

3. Open the PC case, then with one hand touch the metal chassis inside to make sure you won't shock the components which could ruin them.

4. One at a time disconnect/unplug everything, and then plug them back it. Put the PC case back on or close it.

5. Plug the PC back into the electrical outlet and see if it was just a loose connection.

If it isn't a loose connection perhaps you can grab another drive from another PC such as an old PC just laying about to test it and perhaps then that would let you know if it's the writer drive that's failing.

It isn't uncommon for CD/DVD drives to go kaput after a couple of years of usage, but then again that's true for practically all consumer electronics.

Thanks for that, I replaced this drive over the summer with a new one and the media center drive was replaced last week when I first encountered this problem, so the drives themselves are fairly new. What I find curious is that both computers are experiencing identical problems. The only common link that I have been able to identify is the fact that I used CCleaner at about the same time--hense my questions here on this forum.

As I have noted the drives both read and play media, but for the purposes of recording I am stumped! Do you really think it could be a loose connection on both computers? They are networked...

Thanks again for your time

Tom

• Moderators
Do you really think it could be a loose connection on both computers? They are networked...

A loose connection on two computers experiencing the same exact thing would be very far fetched, and I don't think so. It has to be something else then, "perhaps non-administrator permissions" which has caused people CD burning grief before and why some CD burning programs install a service to allow burning for non-admin accounts.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm has a CD burning Allow/Disable download listed at #23 on the far right called Allow or Disable CD Burn Options. I don't know if it would allow you to burn discs or not, but hopefully it works.