Bug: CCleaner Registry Cleaner removes MSC extension

bbinnard

Running CCleaner's Registry "Scan for Issues" identifies the .MSC extension as unused and marks it for removal. This is incorrect - removing the .MSC extension prevents the user from running things like services.msc or the Manage function from My Computer.

• 3 weeks later...
Running CCleaner's Registry "Scan for Issues" identifies the .MSC extension as unused and marks it for removal. This is incorrect - removing the .MSC extension prevents the user from running things like services.msc or the Manage function from My Computer.

Bingo! Thought it was this causing me no end of problems... :rolleyes:

If anyone else needs the fix to re-associate msc's then here's a link:-

MSC association Fix

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, I just ran v2.04.543 for the first time, and it tried to remove *dozens* of "so-called" unused extensions.... it even flagged ".exe" as an unused extension. I'm glad I noticed it and unselected all of them before I proceeded. I now wonder if I can trust CCleaner at all.

-Rich

This is really strange. I have never had a problem with file extensions being deleted that I use every day. I have 2 PC's, an XP Home and a 2000 Pro machine, and both have never had a problem. It seems to only happen to certain people.

AJ