My new toy: Sony PSP

rridgely

• Moderators

So I decided to buy a psp. I got one of the new slim ones that came with the game daxter, and a memory card(1 gig) for only 200 bucks.

The thing is amazing. The graphics don't look like they should be coming out of something so small. I love the analog stick that it has(its a little nub thing but it works surprisingly well). I also bought the game metal gear portable ops and the graphics on that one are amazing too.(the game play is awesome too but it is of course metal gear so how couldn't it be. :P)

I do have a few gripes with it. The load times are pretty bad compared to a game boy, the wifi is a pain in the ass(it just doesn't seem to want to connect to my router), the browser is going to suck because of the way you input text(multiple presses like a cell phone? not that I would use it to browse anyway, I have a laptop with me 99% of the time) and the games are on funky little discs.

Other than that this thing is amazing. I've already put some videos on the memory card and the quality is just amazing. It would be perfect for a long trip or something.

So far its 200 bucks well spent. :D

So I decided to buy a psp. I got one of the new slim ones that came with the game daxter, and a memory card(1 gig) for only 200 bucks.

The thing is amazing. The graphics don't look like they should be coming out of something so small. I love the analog stick that it has(its a little nub thing but it works surprisingly well). I also bought the game metal gear portable ops and the graphics on that one are amazing too.(the game play is awesome too but it is of course metal gear so how couldn't it be. :P )

I do have a few gripes with it. The load times are pretty bad compared to a game boy, the wifi is a pain in the ass(it just doesn't seem to want to connect to my router), the browser is going to suck because of the way you input text(multiple presses like a cell phone? not that I would use it to browse anyway, I have a laptop with me 99% of the time) and the games are on funky little discs.

Other than that this thing is amazing. I've already put some videos on the memory card and the quality is just amazing. It would be perfect for a long trip or something.

So far its 200 bucks well spent. :D

I was thinking of getting one too, but they said I needed to a memory stick for playing games , for saves I supose, and special software if I wanted movies on it ... so I left the store to think about it some more... device : $278memory card 4gb with carry case $99 software arround $50

fireryone

• Moderators
I was thinking of getting one too, but they said I needed to a memory stick for playing games , for saves I supose, and special software if I wanted movies on it ... so I left the store to think about it some more... device : $278memory card 4gb with carry case $99 software arround $50

You dont need special software. All you need is the USB cable.(which you should just get with a starter pack or something. Usually comes with a case and other stuff for like $20)

Then you open it up as external drive, create a folder in the psp folder called Pics, Music, then you can just drag your stuff over. For videos you can just use this:

http://www.pspvideo9.com/

I spent right now about $250 for everything. 2 games, system, 1 gig memory card, and the starter pack that had a case, usb, screen protectors, and crappy headphones I'll never use. :D

Yeah i have a PSP but i only use it to listen to my music, well i did until i got an iPhone. Yeah i must agree that the graphics are rather surprising on that little thing but there aren't, in my opinion that many games on it that are any good and the ones that are come on PS2 which i think is better at play games then the PSP.

bah, never have been a Sony fan at all. but that starwars battle front game looks pretty cool. i have my Cowon D2 which is an MP3 Player and what more could i ask for?

$213(well spent i might add)

Touch Screen(320x240 Res.)

SD Card Slot(supports up to 16GB plus handles SDHC)

52Hrs Music playback and 10Hrs of Video playback

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
Yeah i have a PSP but i only use it to listen to my music, well i did until i got an iPhone. Yeah i must agree that the graphics are rather surprising on that little thing but there aren't, in my opinion that many games on it that are any good and the ones that are come on PS2 which i think is better at play games then the PSP.

It must just be the kind of games you like or something.

I literally have a list of about 30 games I plan to eventually buy. :P I'm an adventure, action game kind of guy. :D

bah, never have been a Sony fan at all. but that starwars battle front game looks pretty cool. i have my Cowon D2 which is an MP3 Player and what more could i ask for?

$213(well spent i might add)

Touch Screen(320x240 Res.)

SD Card Slot(supports up to 16GB plus handles SDHC)

52Hrs Music playback and 10Hrs of Video playback

Not really a good comparison. The PSP is first and foremost a game device. It does all of the other things too as a bonus. If I wanted something to only play movies, music I would have gotten just a media device but I wanted to play games.

From the pics I found the screen on that thing you have is really small, I dont think I would want to watch videos on it.

On further inspection(after getting it to connect to my wifi) the psp browser isn't completely useless. It needs a new flash player so it can go on my video podcast sites and youtube though.

I might use it to read a news site every now and then if I dont want to take out my laptop. It also has rss so I can just subscribe to a few sites and not have to type at all to see what I want.

• Moderators

I was looking at a new slim PSP at Wal-mart just the other night. As usual with most retail stores the people working in the area don't know enough about the gadgets to sell them since every question was replied with "I'm not sure." :rolleyes:

Some questions:

• Does it playback LAME encoded VBR mp3's well, such as no skipping, no clicking at the end of a track?
  • Is there gapless playback?
  • Does it read ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags?
  • Does is just playback MP3's only, or are there any other audio formats it supports?

Although for the price I'd rather just wait until Grand Theft Auto 4 is released then get a PS3.

• Moderators

"I'm not sure"... :P

Actually I'm really not. I'm not sure what kind of tags my songs have to be honest. They were ripped in WMP.

I haven't put but one song on there yet and it worked fine. I'll test it out a little more and let you know.

When i was at the store I almost bought a ps3 or xbox 360 instead of the psp. But I decided that I wanted something portable. :D

although mine is just a MP3 Player and not a PGD(Portable Gaming Device) it is still worth it. believe me if you had a few mins. to mess with the Cowon D2 you'd adore it.

on to other matters the PSP is a good device at hand. i don't think it has gapless playback. i'm sure it can be added by Firmware update but hey idk... if Sony will do this as i think most users wouldn't care and wouldn't even know what gapless playback is(just means no pause between tracks).

PS3 is ahead now but god... the price is awful. Xbox 360 is a better buy.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
I'm not sure what kind of tags my songs have to be honest. They were ripped in WMP.

If your MP3's were ripped and tagged by WMP then they should have ID3v2 tags. I don't know if it includes an ID3v1 tag or not.

Speaking of the XBOX 360 and PS3 I got an education at Wal-mart from a little kid (they should really hire him, if only that was legal) that told me the difference from the starting XBOX 360 that's under $300 and the one that's around $350. He said lower priced system sucked because it didn't really come with anything. He said what I pretty much already knew and that was wait for the PS3 to come down in price once more, then grab it and forget about the XBOX 360 altogether.

one of the reasons why PS3 is so... $$$ is the fact that it can play both DVD HD and BlueRay. actually the PS3 is the Cheapest BlueRay/DVD HD player out right now. PS3 is really a next in everything. plus... the Internet gaming Fee is free :)

one of the reasons why PS3 is so... $$$ is the fact that it can play both DVD HD and BlueRay. actually the PS3 is the Cheapest BlueRay/DVD HD player out right now. PS3 is really a next in everything. plus... the Internet gaming Fee is free :)

Partially wrong...it can only play Blu-Ray...not HD DVD.

AJ

Partially wrong...it can only play Blu-Ray...not HD DVD.

AJ

really? well still it is the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

• Moderators

What really kept me back from getting a 360 the other day besides that I'm not home very much is the fact that they have been known to break a lot. That and a bunch of games I want are ps3 only (mgs4, ratchet, socom and drake's fortune)

Also if you compare the high end elite xbox with hd dvd add on its more than the ps3. Plus the ps3 has built in wifi, can run an OS(would be cool to try), free online multi player.

In all seriousness I probably will go pick up a ps3 when the new socom game comes out. That game took over my life for like 3 months when it first came out (s3). :D I had to sell the thing to break the addiction(seriously..)

really? well still it is the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

PS3 Specs Yep - Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Read only drive.

What really kept me back from getting a 360 the other day besides that I'm not home very much is the fact that they have been known to break a lot.

My friend had a 360..like one of the first ones that ran too hot...it literally "burned" a disc. He eventually got a new one, and it has been fine ever since. He came over and played Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4 on my Vizio 42" LCD 1080P HDTV.....with 5.1 surround sound :P:lol:;) Let's just say HD has never looked so good!!!!!!!

AJ

Guys why not get a Wii? lol, we have one and i feel bad. i still have a Sega Dreamcast... :) still play it too.

it's all about game play for Nintendo not Graphics.

• Moderators

Yeah but its possible to do both...

this

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/superma...;tag=images;all

VS

this:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/unrealt...tag=tabs;images

I just dont see why they didnt make the wii just a controller for the gamecube because thats all it really is. :lol:

PS3 is ahead now but god... the price is awful.
Yeah, that's the sole reason I've not got one yet. I can accept it's reasonably priced for what it is but it's still too expensive. I'm guessing once Christmas has passed the price will start to drop significantly (I hope :D ).

I just dont see why they didnt make the wii just a controller for the gamecube because thats all it really is. :lol:
Ouch :lol:

• Moderators

Yeah game play is important however even older systems from previous generations that had good game play still can't overcome the fact that they look horrible. For instance while I loved some RPG games on the PS1 they'll just stay with me as a memory, but won't ever be revisited due to their graphics. With everything going HD having sub-par graphics regardless of the playability of the games isn't too much of a bonus.

I see Nintendo as a toy and their choice of controller design is what will keep me away from Wii forever. With they're targeted audience age and range type of games it seems more and more like a toy the more I think about it, whereas Microsoft's XBOX 360 and Sony's PS3 are for the older crowd.

Personally I will get and have a PS3 either sometime next year, or at the very latest sometime in 2009 because I never get a newly released system the first year it's released due to price shock and since it gives them time to weed out any problems that may have bypassed quality control.

Screw consoles...buy a good gaming PC! :P Haha...Crysis anyone??? (Yeah I know, it looks better with Vista and DX10) But hey, PC's are more powerful.

Give me an Intel QX9650, 2 GB's of Crucial RAM, a Terabyte HDD, a 680i Motherboard, 2 NVIDIA 8800 Ultras in SLI, a Creative X-Fi Sound card anyday, and I'd be a happy man.

AJ

Terabyte HDD? who needs that much space? heck, i have a 80GB HDD dude. yes, of course i'm upgrading to a 250GB soon but jesus a Terabyte HDD...