Vista..

xbrianx

Hey, my grandma just got a laptop(technically mine :P ) and it came with Vista. I have already defragged, used disk cleanup and CCleaner, and it's still really slow.

Vista 32 Bit os, 768MB ram, 2GHZ processor.

Anyone know any useless startup processes and background processes I can disable? I checked, and disabled 2, but since all of these of Vista related...I'm not sure to what they do. I still use XP on my desktop. It's using over 50% of the RAM amount and 60+ processes are running...which is absurd :blink:

thanks.

Wow, 60+ process on XP? LoL This is Incredible...

Would be nice if you disable some services with you don't use in services.msc (Start/Run/services.msc)

CCleaner have a option to disable some start-up programs, try this too...

Wow, 60+ process on XP? LoL This is Incredible...

Would be nice if you disable some services with you don't use in services.msc (Start/Run/services.msc)

CCleaner have a option to disable some start-up programs, try this too...

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I meant that the laptop running Vista has over 60 processes and uses more than half of the RAM amount.

You could have a look at the site below which may be able to help lighten things up a bit?

Windows Vista has around 130 services. According many reports, Vista is very computer intensive, so it may take a couple tweaks to lighten it up a bit to suit your needs. The names are rather vague like 'ReadyBoost' and 'SuperFetch'. How will you know which are safe to disable? Hopefully we can help. We have a full list of all Vista services and recommended settings for them. This site contains registry files for easily resetting your services settings back to factory in case you mess it up or just wish to have a good way to go back to factory.

We also feature various other tweaks to speed up your system. I've run Vista on various hardware, and I do think that the reports of it requiring a super new computer are vastly overrated (except in the graphics card department, if you want Aero). The minimum system requirements only state 800mhz, which means most computers sold in the last 7 years. It may not be pretty, but it should run. Maybe right out of the box, it's a bit heavy, but hopefully with this site you can get it working smoothly and efficiently to suit your needs

SpeedyVista

Black Viper has a services guide for Vista too, maybe worth a look (his XP guide is pretty trustworthy so this should be fairly reliable):

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Also isn't Vista supposed to have 1GB minimum RAM?

What a coincidence, I'm looking at that now :D

On the sticker on the laptop, underneath the keyboard beside the trapad, it says "1GB DDR2". But, System Information says 768MB and CCleaner says 766MB.

I just disabled a few services and the RAM usage is around 50%, but the Processor is still too high for my taste, especially since its a laptop. I'll continue trying new things. thanks guys

What a coincidence, I'm looking at that now :D

On the sticker on the laptop, underneath the keyboard beside the trapad, it says "1GB DDR2". But, System Information says 768MB and CCleaner says 766MB.

It's a laptop so it'll have a chunk of memory set aside for graphics (256Mb, same as mine), so even though it has 1Gb installed it hasn't actually got 1Gb available to use. So a memory upgrade would be highly advisable I think.