Outlook Express

craigathus

Not sure if I should be posting this topic here, but here goes.

I only noticed today that "spell check" for (Outlook Express) is not working.

I keep getting a message saying to insert Microsoft Works Suit 2006.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this, however I recently unchecked (Microsoft Office) in "msconfig-startup"

I have since rechecked that item and rebooted my machine.

I'm still having the same problem.

Also if I use "spell check" in (Microsoft Word) it works :huh:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Humpty, I checked out this MS link? that you supplied and found this of interest:

This behavior can occur if one of the following conditions is true:

?The value data for the SharedFilesDir registry value does not contain a trailing backslash (\) in the following registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools

Absence of this trailing backslash prevents location of the Csapi3t1.dll file and causes the spelling checker not to function correctly.

?The Csapi3t1.dll file is missing or damaged. The Csapi3t1.dll file is located in the Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder,

?The Mssp232.dll or Mssp2_en.lex file is missing or damaged.

I followed the instructions to check the above, and it seems OK.

I also looked at the info in (Outlook Express-About) and found these 3 items that don't look right:

csapi3t1.dll <Unknown>

wab32.dll <Unknown>

wab32res.dll <Unknown>

If I put the Microsoft Works Suit 2006-DVD in Drive (D:) will these 3 items to do with (Outlook Express) be fixed?

As I mentioned "spell check" still works in (Microsoft Word) and I'm assuming (Microsoft Word) is part of Microsoft Works Suit 2006.

EDIT: I just searched Drive (C:) and could not find Mssp232.dll or Mssp2_en.lex files.

Outlook express doesn't have spell checking on its own.

Outlook express has been replaced by windows live mail which is actually quite good. If you switch to it you can just import your settings over and get a much better client:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

If I get (Windows Live Mail) what happens to OutLook Express?

Will OutLook Express still be a usable program?

Dose Windows Live Mail "replace" OutLook Express like an update? a newer version with a different name?

Will I be prompted to import my settings?

A fair bit of info here Craig, with plenty of options

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?messa...597?

Hi hazel, I read the info on that forum and followed this link http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html and they mentioned the Csapi3t1.dll file that I have, and it is located in the Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder & Program Files\Microsoft Works folder.

They don't mention any thing about Mssp232.dll or Mssp2_en.lex files? that I read about from this MS link? and I don't seem to have these two files.

Loosing the spell checking feature seems like a common problem with "OutLook Express" I thought that I might have stuffed something up?

• Moderators
If I get (Windows Live Mail) what happens to OutLook Express?

Will OutLook Express still be a usable program?

Dose Windows Live Mail "replace" OutLook Express like an update? a newer version with a different name?

Will I be prompted to import my settings?

You will still have outlook express and it will still be functional if you dont like WLM.

You will be prompted to import your settings on install.

I fixed it ;) , I now have spell check working in OutLook Express again.

When I first noticed this problem, Windows kept telling me to put Microsoft Works Suit 2006-DVD in Drive (D:) "Actually" it was asking for "Microsoft Digital Image 2006" which is bundled with Works 8, Word, money, & Encarta on one DVD.

The DVD is titled (Microsoft Works Suit 2006-DVD)

Well I was thinking what has a Photo Editing program got to do with spell check not working in OutLook Express?

Finally decided to do what Windows wanted :lol: