CCleaner Community Forums

7-Zip new version

First update of this program for about a year and a half:

http://filehippo.com/download_7-zip/

Changelog:

- 7-Zip now can unpack Compound files (msi, doc, ...) and WIM archives.

- ZIP format supporting was improved.

- 7-Zip now supports WinZip-compatible AES-256 encryption for .ZIP archives.

- Encryption strength for .7z format was increased.

Now it uses random initialization vectors.

- Speed optimizations.

- Now it's possible to specify the size of solid block and the number

of CPU threads in "Add to archive" dialog box.

- Default dictionary size was increased: Normal: 16 MB, Max: 32 MB.

- 7-Zip now can use multi-threading mode for compressing to .ZIP archives.

- 7-Zip now uses order list (list of extensions) for files sorting for compressing

to .7z archives. It can slightly increase compression ratio in some cases.

- 7-Zip now replaces incorrect characters in filenames during extracting.

- 7-Zip now restores modification time of folders during .7z archives extracting.

- 7-Zip now supports file pathnames longer than 260 characters.

- Benchmark was improved (new "b" command in command line version).

- Now it's possible to associate 7-zip with combined types like .tbz2

- New context menu items for .ZIP archives creating.

- "Test" and "Info" buttons now work for open archives.

- New "Compress shared files" option in GUI and -ssw switch.

- New switch for command line version:

-ssc[-] enables/disables case-sensitive mode for file names.

- switch -mhcf=off is not supported now.

- If -t{Type} switch is not specified, 7-Zip now uses extension of archive to

detect the type of archive.

- The number of DLL files was reduced.

- New localizations: Armenian, Bangla, Bashkir, Welsh, Marathi, Nepali, Norwegian Nynorsk.

- Some bugs were fixed.

• Moderators
I use 7-Zip very rarely, only for 7z archives. But maybe i will update, eventually.

I only switched to it sometime last year after WinRAR which I have licensed started acting really weird on my system, I don't know exactly what the problem was or if there was a conflict with another software or not however the problems were big enough for me to ditch it altogether. And it did take some serious getting used to 7-Zip after using WinRAR for so many years, that wasn't the easiest transition for me to deal with because I really liked WinRAR's SFX creation which could be used as an installer to create shortcuts, etc. Kind of makes me wish 7-Zip could utilize some Inno Setup scripting for it's SFX creation.

In any event I use 7-Zip each and every day, and like the fact that it utilizes multi-threading to speed things up. Also it's command line program is relatively easy for usage inside of batch files to backup all files in a specific backup folder I've created which makes life super simple and super easy when wanting to burn one backup archive that contains all backups onto a CD-RW. It's actually ages faster than any run-of-the-mill programs that are deemed "backup software."

I loved WinRAR before, however after using 7-Zip the past year without any significant bugs at this point I highly doubt that I'll ever go back to WinRAR, and have no desire to use any other archiving software.

In any event I use 7-Zip each and every day

My primary zipping program is UltimateZip. It handles RAR archives also.

Edit: Just noticed from UZ site, that 3.1 version got 7z and 7z sfx support. I got 3.0.3 version.

Also it's command line program is relatively easy for usage inside of batch files to backup all files in a specific backup folder I've created which makes life super simple and super easy when wanting to burn one backup archive that contains all backups onto a CD-RW.

Andavari . . . I may be asking too much (or maybe I misunderstood what you said), but can you explain the procedure for backing up using 7-ZIP. Is there an Explorer feature, or how do you go about backing up and archiving multiple files? I'd like to backup a bunch of stuff on my hard drive to my external drive -- same stuff on a regular basis.

• Moderators

It's in the 7-Zip help file how to use it via a batch file, etc., to automatically backup a certain filetype, folder, etc.

Example:

"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a "D:\My Backups.7z" "D:\My Backups"

It's in the 7-Zip help file how to use it via a batch file, etc., to automatically backup a certain filetype, folder, etc.

Example:

"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a "D:\My Backups.7z" "D:\My Backups"

Thanks, I'll check it out.