7-Zip new version

JDPower

First update of this program for about a year and a half:

http://filehippo.com/download_7-zip/

Changelog:

- 7-Zip now can unpack Compound files (msi, doc, ...) and WIM archives.

- ZIP format supporting was improved.

- 7-Zip now supports WinZip-compatible AES-256 encryption for .ZIP archives.

- Encryption strength for .7z format was increased.

Now it uses random initialization vectors.

- Speed optimizations.

- Now it's possible to specify the size of solid block and the number

of CPU threads in "Add to archive" dialog box.

- Default dictionary size was increased: Normal: 16 MB, Max: 32 MB.

- 7-Zip now can use multi-threading mode for compressing to .ZIP archives.

- 7-Zip now uses order list (list of extensions) for files sorting for compressing

to .7z archives. It can slightly increase compression ratio in some cases.

- 7-Zip now replaces incorrect characters in filenames during extracting.

- 7-Zip now restores modification time of folders during .7z archives extracting.

- 7-Zip now supports file pathnames longer than 260 characters.

- Benchmark was improved (new "b" command in command line version).

- Now it's possible to associate 7-zip with combined types like .tbz2

- New context menu items for .ZIP archives creating.

- "Test" and "Info" buttons now work for open archives.

- New "Compress shared files" option in GUI and -ssw switch.

- New switch for command line version:

-ssc[-] enables/disables case-sensitive mode for file names.

- switch -mhcf=off is not supported now.

- If -t{Type} switch is not specified, 7-Zip now uses extension of archive to

detect the type of archive.

- The number of DLL files was reduced.

- New localizations: Armenian, Bangla, Bashkir, Welsh, Marathi, Nepali, Norwegian Nynorsk.

- Some bugs were fixed.

• Moderators
I use 7-Zip very rarely, only for 7z archives. But maybe i will update, eventually.

I only switched to it sometime last year after WinRAR which I have licensed started acting really weird on my system, I don't know exactly what the problem was or if there was a conflict with another software or not however the problems were big enough for me to ditch it altogether. And it did take some serious getting used to 7-Zip after using WinRAR for so many years, that wasn't the easiest transition for me to deal with because I really liked WinRAR's SFX creation which could be used as an installer to create shortcuts, etc. Kind of makes me wish 7-Zip could utilize some Inno Setup scripting for it's SFX creation.

In any event I use 7-Zip each and every day, and like the fact that it utilizes multi-threading to speed things up. Also it's command line program is relatively easy for usage inside of batch files to backup all files in a specific backup folder I've created which makes life super simple and super easy when wanting to burn one backup archive that contains all backups onto a CD-RW. It's actually ages faster than any run-of-the-mill programs that are deemed "backup software."

I loved WinRAR before, however after using 7-Zip the past year without any significant bugs at this point I highly doubt that I'll ever go back to WinRAR, and have no desire to use any other archiving software.

Also it's command line program is relatively easy for usage inside of batch files to backup all files in a specific backup folder I've created which makes life super simple and super easy when wanting to burn one backup archive that contains all backups onto a CD-RW.

Andavari . . . I may be asking too much (or maybe I misunderstood what you said), but can you explain the procedure for backing up using 7-ZIP. Is there an Explorer feature, or how do you go about backing up and archiving multiple files? I'd like to backup a bunch of stuff on my hard drive to my external drive -- same stuff on a regular basis.

It's in the 7-Zip help file how to use it via a batch file, etc., to automatically backup a certain filetype, folder, etc.

Example:

"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a "D:\My Backups.7z" "D:\My Backups"

Thanks, I'll check it out.