Feature request: Defragmenting free disk space

Eddy_2

Hi all,

There is a feature that I would appreciate very much in Defraggler, and that is that it could defrag the disk empty space.

That is, to 'simply' move all files so that one is placed right after the other. That way, the empty disk space would be pretty much in one big chunk (apart from the files that Defraggler can't move).

I would make that a separate option though. For example, another 'Defrag empty space' button next to the Analyze and Defrag buttons .

Kind regards

Eddy

• 2 weeks later...
'simply' move all files so that one is placed right after the other. That way, the empty disk space would be pretty much in one big chunk

I was going to request this exact same feature, to consolidate the free space at the end of the drive. Helpful when wanting to repartition.

Thanks for the great, free product!

Robbie G

• 2 weeks later...

It takes a long time (half an hour) for defraggler (Beta) to defrag the free space in my computer.

ps: half an hour is quite a long time for defragging my drive. I'm not sure what's different about defragler or my drive.

Defragging (or in this case, Defraggling ;)) free space requires extensive hard drive paging and quite a bit of file movement. It's not anything particular about Defraggler or your hard drive that causes this operation to take so long, it's just the operation itself is quite intensive.

Woo for odd sentence structure.

IPB Image