Firewall Questions

Couple of questions guys.

First, has anyone tried out the new Netveda Firewall? I used to use it a long time ago, but cant remember why i switched. Any good?

Second, is Outpost a good firewall, compared to the others, and is anyone using it?

Third, can you have two firewalls installed, as long as only one is running?

Fourth, if I set everything to BLOCK ALL, can i just allow items that i use on a regular basis, and keep other items from "phoning home" per se and still be able to use the programs?

Thanks guys!

1.i haven't tried netveda firewall so i can't make suggestions :D

2. Outpost Firewall is good but I'm using Zone Alarm security suite :D

3. You can only use one firewall at a time, having two can cause system instabilities.

4. from what I've experience setting "block all" is like locking up all internet access so i recommend that you set your firewall to "Auto-learn" or "Learn Mode" :D

• Moderators
3. You can only use one firewall at a time, having two can cause system instabilities.

Yup! Even if one is disabled via it's settings, etc., many will still load a system driver that could cause the computer to lockup when attempting to start Windows.

system driver that could cause the computer to lockup when attempting to start Windows.

Yes, system drivers can cause unexpected problems, since they are loaded to memory, when Windows is booted up.

Also never ever have 2 or more software/hardware FW's on your system. Only one.

First, has anyone tried out the new Netveda Firewall? I used to use it a long time ago, but cant remember why i switched. Any good?

Second, is Outpost a good firewall, compared to the others, and is anyone using it?

Fourth, if I set everything to BLOCK ALL, can i just allow items that i use on a regular basis, and keep other items from "phoning home" per se and still be able to use the programs?

Thanks guys!

I use Outpost Pro 2008 (commercial) -- it GREAT!

Well, lol, i decided to try zone alarm firewall. It is actually pretty user friendly and easy to use so I am going to give it a shot for awhile. I'll update on if I like it or not.

Thanks guys!

1: i did. i got rid of it because having it around was useless. it also didn't work right when i tried adding a blocklist. It also blocked slashdot for some weird reason.

2: Outpost had a 100% blockage rating on some firewall leak test website; and yes, it is very good.

So from that leak test, it look like online armor is the best one out there. And its 100% free. So why is everyone not using it?

Plus i noticed that comodo (which is also free) came in at number 3. Maybe time to try that? i used to have problems with it a long time ago.

That's one third-party firewall I'm done and finished with, and will never use again.

When i got this current XP machine, i installed ZA, since it worked fine on earlier 98SE machine. On XP i had some (connection related) problems with it, so i decided to give Sygate a try. I have used Sygate since then.

• Moderators
So from that leak test, it look like online armor is the best one out there. And its 100% free. So why is everyone not using it?

Plus i noticed that comodo (which is also free) came in at number 3. Maybe time to try that? i used to have problems with it a long time ago.

Online Armor is the only third party firewall I've stuck with. Like it a lot.

I still just use the windows firewall and AVG. No slow down, prompts, or problems. :P oh.. no viruses either! :lol:

lol! show off!

Hazel, so far I am pretty happy with it. It is easy to configure, and isnt causing any other problems as of yet so I am happy. I will give it a good try.