Temp Files

Gizzy

the temp files located in my windows account local settings (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp) aren't being deleted,

when I used CCleaner yesterday after I clicked analyze it said it would clean up about 250MB which I thought was weird because I run CCleaner often and when I looked it was a bunch of temp files so I clicked run CCleaner and after it finished it said it only cleaned up about 50MB so I remembered where those temp files were and when I got to the temp folder it had about 200MB in it so why isn't CCleaner cleaning these files?

and now when I click analyze these files don't even come up. :blink:

Have you got the option ticked for "Only delete temp files older than 48 hours" in Options>Advanced?

yes I do,

could this be affecting it?

the files in that temp folder are older than 48 days though I recognized pictures from a portable spyware scanner I used about 2 weeks ago, I'm not sure what else is in that folder I just noticed the pictures from that program at a glance.

yes I do,

could this be affecting it?

Yes. You can safely untick that box to try it (though it's best to leave it ticked for everyday use). It's there to prevent program installations messing up as they sometimes store stuff in temp folders during installation.

thanks for your help, :)

I unticked the box and ran CCleaner and it cleaned up all the temp files then when I was done I reticked it,

but will I have to untick the box all the time to clean out that temp folder?

No, it's best just to leave it ticked for the reasons I mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi em1500uk,

It really depends on how you use your PC.

Sometimes you may download some software and it ends up in these Temp files.

Many people have and don't realize they need to get this software somewhere safe.

There are first time users like I was that did not even know some of this software was there.

I "inherited" this computer and it was in terrible shape.

Some software was in Temporary Internet Files and never been moved out.

These files had never been "cleaned" even using Windows options.

So the first time cleaning was done by me using Windows options BANG.

What a big surprise!!! Blame it on the cleaner???

I think not!!!

The problem was due to inexperience not "stupidity".

This same thing happens to new users of CCleaner!!!

Luckily I had backed up these files before cleaning.I do have that much experience.

From what I have observed, keeping this box checked gives you time to move or copy what you need

before 48 hrs, are up.However,if you don't even know what is in there,48 hrs. later or more when you run CCleaner they will be deleted.

Personally,I leave this box checked. That way if I run CCleaner I still have time to "remember".

Everybody gets "tired" , "foggy" or what have you.

CCleaner has helped me safely get rid of these files and returned much memory and performance.

This computer had 3 yrs of junk slowing it down. What with power outages,system hangs,inexperience on how to get out of such "hangs" etc., Windows was still working!!!

Best Wishes,

:) davey

• Moderators
I'm having the same problems with deleting some temp files and I have the "Only delete temp files older than 48 hours" option ticked. Is it safe to not have this selected?

I have never left that box ticked on my system, and haven't had problems -- although my system does get rebooted everyday.