No sound when I empty my recycle bin

spacejocky

So i have tried all the normal stuff re-booting setting the sound in the control panel to (none) re booting then resetting it to my custom sound. a little background for ya..i noticed that my IE icon had a short cut arrow and the .lnk was broken i deleted it and i went to the desktop properties and didn't see it at all. no place to put the check mark Hmm..mcafee running fine spybot and ad-aware found nothing so system restore i did it all is gravy cept now no recycle bin sound..LOL i have been all over the web. my last name isn't Wozniak but i am no dummy either (famous last words) anyhow all the answers i have received are bunk. one dude just said who cares...anyhow any help would be appreciated

BTW i did find somebody with the same exact problem on Yahoo answer you can find it here <_<

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_y...15015237AAbSZMl

Thanks again :)

So i have tried all the normal stuff re-booting setting the sound in the control panel to (none) re booting then resetting it to my custom sound. a little background for ya..i noticed that my IE icon had a short cut arrow and the .lnk was broken i deleted it and i went to the desktop properties and didn't see it at all. no place to put the check mark Hmm..mcafee running fine spybot and ad-aware found nothing so system restore i did it all is gravy cept now no recycle bin sound..LOL i have been all over the web. my last name isn't Wozniak but i am no dummy either (famous last words) anyhow all the answers i have received are bunk. one dude just said who cares...anyhow any help would be appreciated

BTW i did find somebody with the same exact problem on Yahoo answer you can find it here <_<

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_y...15015237AAbSZMl

Thanks again :)

OK! This is my first reply anyhere . I'm a newbie too! had the same problem. right click on volume icon in task tray and select "adjust audio properties."

click on sounds tab and scroll down program events to 'empty recycle bin' and click on that.

select sound in drop down menu or browse for sound stored some other frle or folder.

click on arrow button to hear sound selected. click on apply to lock-in your selection. you can also do this in the control panel under sounds and audio devices icon. Good Luck :P

still nothing guys..this is more help then i have gotten anywhere else tho so thank you..is there any way for anybody to look at my .reg files?...LOL this is bordering on the extremely stupid :( i did create a another user and the sounds worked fine also when i restore to a later date it works but IE 6 is gone WTH...maybe a request to what files i should back up? how bout importing the registry directly from my windows CD? repair? i dont want to lose all my settings though i have taken a long time tweaking my Laptop at some point i think i will have to bite the bullet..any advice on other options are welcome :unsure:

• Moderators

A suggestion from a non expert, but it's to do with Windows sounds so is probably worth a try, and don't worry, you're not even close to extremely stupid.

You have to be here a while before you hit those dizzy heights.

Go to start > run > type in services.msc, hit return.

Scroll down to Windows audio, right click, select properties.

Select the recovery tab.

You'll see "select the computers response if this service fails". Check to see if the first failure is set to no action.

If it is, from the drop down menu select restart the service, and then apply > OK.

I'm not sure if you will have to reboot to make your new choice active, or if it will make any difference to your problem, but it's maybe worth a try, and it's what I have that first failure set to since I read about it curing some other guys sound problems.

Good luck.

Well that sounded like it man i was sure it was gonna work...it did not though :(

What it did do though was: B4 when i would go in to sounds and audio devices it would not apply a sound profile

now if i apply exit and go back the profile is saved :rolleyes:

so in some small way that is a victory

still nada :(

seriously at this point i am ready to give up

you all have been helpful though more so then anywhere else on the web thats for sure :lol:

can anybody tell me what part not to back up so my restore doesnt put this problem back

or if i take my install disk and repair can i keep my programs and my other stuff the way it is

i took alot of time customizing all my folders and stuff; i guess if i had to it would be fun to do it all

again :rolleyes::D:D:D

• Moderators

Hi spacejocky, I'm getting as frustrated as you with not being able to fix something which should be easy.

The fact that everything is working OK if you log on as a different user, means that there's nothing intrinsically broken. Humpty has the right idea that something just needs a kick up the arse to get working again.

Yesterday, I found 4 separate occurrences of exactly the same problem, and I mean exactly, right down to being able to log on with different user, and sounds being OK. None of them found a straightforward solution.

However, one of them did cure it, but he has no idea how. He was mucking about with something, and didn't realise he'd fixed it until he next emptied his recycle bin. Dam.

I thought this might be worth a go to jog something into life.

I've just spent the last 20 minutes or so trying this myself, to make sure it's as straightforward as it seems, and it's OK.

Go through the services.msc again as above, until you get to the "Windows Audio" again.

Right click, select properties, and where it says "startup type", it should be set to automatic. If it isn't, then set it to automatic, and reboot.

If it already is set to automatic, from the drop down menu, select "disable". This will disable the sounds that include the recycle bin. Then reboot. All sounds should be now disabled.

Go through the procedure again, and set the tab to automatic. Then start the service again, either from a button on that page, or in the extended window, from the blue highlighted menu on the left. Make sure it's started again.

Reboot again, and all sounds will be back, and if we pray hard enough, the recycle bin sound may have been kicked back into life.

I've no idea if this will do anything, but I've just gone through the process to make sure it won't hurt anything.

Good luck.

• Moderators

I'll find the links for those sites again. No worries. I didn't bookmark them as they didn't offer any solutions.

One more thing for you to look at if you haven't already.

Start > Right click "My Computer". Select properties > hardware > device manager.

Find "Sound, video and game controllers". Double click or press the + sign.

Check to see if there's a yellow question mark beside any of them. You can also right click the audio drivers, or all of them if you want, and select properties to check if they are all working.

You can also right click and check for hardware changes. I've just tried this and nearly jumped off my seat. The screen suddenly went black while the check was being done.

I've no idea what happens if there have been any hardware changes, as I've obviously not had any.

I'll come back with those links later.

Your pic. Do you mean where the red rectangle is? There's nothing there in mine.

Desktop5.jpg.xs.jpg

• Moderators

Changed my mind about the editing the post thing.

A couple of links here may be of some help, although don't try anything you're not happy with.

Make windows create a new recycle bin. Posts 5, 6, 7:

Follow instructions in post to unhide the folder, then Start > my computer > unhidden "recycler" folder.

Sound Schemes won't play:

Mentions Windows updates as a possible cause. Couple of links bottom of page as well.

Windows looking for wrong .wave file:

This is an old post, but for some reason Windows was looking for the wrong .wave file. The guy found out which one it was looking for, and renamed the correct file to that name. Bit complicated that one, but have you tried assigning another sound to the Recycle Bin?

I downloaded some third party .wave sounds last night, and assigned one of them to the Recycle Bin using the "browse" option in "Adjust Audio Properties".

When I emptied the bin, it said "Wipe them out, all of them" in the voice of Darth Sidious, (StarWars).

If you can get a third party sound to play, maybe you can then reassign the correct one.

Movie Sounds HERE:

Regarding your IE6 thing. Do you have "Tweak UI"? If you don't, it has a lot of really useful tweaks inculding some for the desktop and Internet Explorer. Quite a lot of people on here use it.

TweakUI.jpg.xs.jpg

Tweak UI: Download on the right, halfway down the page.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I'm a whiskey man. :rolleyes: