What about Compressed Old Files?

Ceveyeand

I messed up with Disk Cleanup registry without backup for Compressed Old Files that not shown in options because it was frozen. And I started to searching how to repair or restore on internet for few days, but never found. I don't want to see or hear how to repair or restore ever again because I never found what I need, but I did find Compressed Old Files.reg to merge/restore it then I restarted my computer today to see if the Compressed Old Files shown in Disk Cleanup options again, but not in there anymore.

Then I decided to search for download disk cleanup softwares and I found this first software is CCleaner and I loved it because it has more options to delete. I sick of using Disk Cleanup and then have Firefox to flush out too and more, but CCleaner can do all at once!

So, I wonder that if CCleaner can wipe Compressed Old Files too? I hope so because this CCleaner is very useful and I belive this one that I won't go back to search for more disk cleanup softwares.

This CCleaner is pretty good for freeware, small program, and all-in-one for disk cleaner, registry cleaner, optimizer, memory flusher, adding folders, and many more! I can't explain about it too much, but it has no adware or spyware too.

I must have this CCleaner on my backup cd! I would be CCleaner's number one fan as in little bike with higher stick and flag that I love CCleaner!

Here, I spam, " http://www.CCleaner.com/download " and download one more time for yourself and friends or backup. I don't care if I get banned for being too crazy.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

From what I gather from earlier in this thread CC will just go ahead and delete compressed files. There is no option in CC that refers to compressed files. What makes you think that CC isn't deleting compressed files?

From what I gather from earlier in this thread CC will just go ahead and delete compressed files. There is no option in CC that refers to compressed files. What makes you think that CC isn't deleting compressed files?

Because when I go to my c d*** cleaner under tools the compressed old files are still there. And its almost 1 million kb's.

• Moderators

I'm a little lost here. Do you mean that under c:/Properties/General/Disk Cleanup the Compress Old Files is showing 1 gb, or do you mean something else? I can see nothing under Properties/Tools that shows compressed files.

I'm a little lost here. Do you mean that under c:/Properties/General/Disk Cleanup the Compress Old Files is showing 1 gb, or do you mean something else? I can see nothing under Properties/Tools that shows compressed files.

When I go to tools and start disc cleanup of my c drive it gives me a list of files that can or need to be cleaned. In that list is the compressed old files.

• Moderators

Ah, you mean All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup? This option enables Windows to compress files that haven't been accessed for some time. It saves space, but it doesn't mean that you necessarily want these files to be deleted. They are just old files you haven't looked at for some time.

CCleaner will only delete temporary and other files that are specifically selected using its options settings. If you included any files that have previously been compressed then CC will delete them. CC won't touch the compressed files in Disk Cleanup. I don't know of any way of identifying these compressed files, but I've never looked for them.

• Moderators

If you go to tools > folder options> view and scroll down near the bottom there is an option which says something like 'show compressed or encrypted NTFS files in colour' Compressed files show up blue on your system. But you may have to show hiddens files etc to see them.

Some microsoft files, uninstallers etc are compressed.

Best that you dont uninstall them until you find out what they are.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If you go to tools > folder options> view and scroll down near the bottom there is an option which says something like 'show compressed or encrypted NTFS files in colour' Compressed files show up blue on your system. But you may have to show hiddens files etc to see them.

Some microsoft files, uninstallers etc are compressed.

Best that you dont uninstall them until you find out what they are.

To late :) I got rid of them all. It took me awhile but i got them off. all except about 1,600 kb anyways. and they won't come off.

Now my computer runs fine. :)

To late :) I got rid of them all. It took me awhile but i got them off. all except about 1,600 kb anyways. and they won't come off.

I wonder how long before it fails to power up.

Compressed files are NOT redundant files.

They are files that have not been used for a while,

but when Windows wants them it really wants them.

Alan

Hope you only ran the 'Compress old files' option in disk cleaner and didn't actually delete them. Might I also add that the option will not improve your computers performance in the slightest, in fact quite the opposite as compressed files are slower to read from disk (and as far as I know windows doesn't actually uncompress them if they do get used). That option is only there to free up some disk space but if you are running out of disk space far better buy a larger hard drive, or move any unused files (music, videos etc) to CD or external drive.