WMP11 connects to UPnPHost

CeeCee

Have you folks noticed, that Windows Media Player 11 connects/attempts to connect UPnPHost service, every time you open it. http://www.mcse.ms/message2311978.html

I noticed it, because every time i open WMP11, i get an error message to Event Viewer. I get this error message due the fact, that i have disabled UPnPHost service and there for WMP11 can't connect to it (or start it up). Here's the error message:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

I did some research with Google and found out, that there's currently no way to stop WMP11 from calling UPnPHost.

I didn't posted this message, because i have an actual problem or anything. It's just interesting that WMP11 behaves this way and without most people even knowing about it. Well now you know...

---

It's VERY recommened to disable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) service, because it's an major security threat.

Note: DO NOT DISABLE "Plug and Play" service, because it NEEDS to be running!

• Moderators
It's VERY recommened to disable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) service, because it's an major security threat.

Note: DO NOT DISABLE "Plug and Play" service, because it NEEDS to be running!

Is that called in Services:

Universal Plug and Play Device Host?

If so it's disabled on my system.

Note that WMP10 etc., always connect to media websites even if you've only loaded it to play a music file or video stored on your system. You'll get cookied, etc., which is one reason I've never ever been fond of WMP, and a reason for folks using a two-way firewall to better control its Internet usage.

There's a simple solution here....

... just don't use WMP11 :).

Which is something I don't use. I absolutely can't stand WMP11 although I wish it's usage of encoding worked the same in WMP10. However Foobar2000 literally kicks the s**t out of it, so there's no need for me to spend any amount of time bashing WMP11.

Yes. WWDC gives you an option to disable it. Make sure that SSDP service is also disabled.

Thanks for the advice I have disabled the UPnPHost service, but what is SSDP? I'd rather not take a guess.

edit

Sorry found it. Abbreviations can be confusing, especially for me :)

Btw, here's an simple utility to disable UPnP: http://www.grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm (from Steve Gibson)

The information on that page is six years old (pre SP2) and specifically states that even XP's old built-in Internet Connection Firewall would stop any access via this means. Plus "I studied UPnP closely and wrote several experimental Universal Plug and Play protocol devices. The system has great potential and in several years it will grow into an important networking technology. But that's in the future." - ie now.

More up to date info courtesy of Black Vipers site:

Used in conjunction with SSDP Discovery Service, it detects and configures UPnP devices on your home network. If any external device does not function because of this service being disabled, place it back in to Automatic. MSN Messenger uses this service in conjunction with supported UPnP devices, to provide support for networks behind a NAT firewall, gateway or router. Also, if you are experiencing difficulty connecting to multiplayer games that use DirectX(7,8,9), place this service to Automatic and ensure you download all security updates. Furthermore, if you use Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and wish to make use of the "allow others to modify this connection" feature, enable UPnP.

UPnP is for connectivity on networks via TCP/IP to devices, such as scanners or printers.

• 1 year later...

There's a simple solution to the DCOM error:

Open regedit and search for 204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56

Once the key is found delete the entire key and the DCOM uPnP error is gone for good when starting wmp11.

Before deleting the key I suggest to backup (save) this key (as a .reg file) in case you later on need it. So you can restore it easily with the reg file aftwerwards.