Booting Problem after SP2

Cutepuffy16

hello,

writing from the pc that has the problem:

I just installed Windows xp pro in my father's laptop...everything was goin fine..

after i made the Microsoft updates..it installed SP2...i rebooted when it asked me too....

that's when booting started goin reallyyyyyyy slow..the xp logo doesn't appear anymore...screen stays black for like 20 mins and then log on screen appears..n everything else goes fine....

what's goin on?anyone?

Here are the steps I would do

It maybe too obvious but check to see if you have enough memory and hd space, with a 64 ram it will drastically decrease your performance. If you do have enough ram then check for leakage. If your hd goes half way already then it may slowing you down quite a bit.

Disable all your programs at start up,start- run -type msconfig then start up and uncheck all the boxes, especially your anti virus. It could not possibly be a virus. Also, disable your system restore and hypernation.

You might need to try to update your drivers and since xp sp2 released 3 years ago, you might also want to run a quick update over microsoft website.

Hope it helps, cheers

yea, i kept updating with microsoft, nothing has worked...i tried taking off SP2 and just putting Sp1...unfortunatly it did the same thing with SP1...my brother decided to take off SP1 and all of a sudden when i turn on the pc..it shows the xp logo n everything but it doesn't go to log on screen...and it just keeps restarting all over..

so, i re-installed windows xp pro again...now it works fine without putting SP1 or SP2..but i know i still gotta put them..i know the same thing is gonna keep happening..