internet wont work

beatlebryce

My computer's internet connection has dropped and I dont know why it did that. Just randomly there is no connection and the computer cannot recognize anything. I did "netstat" in cmd prompt and nothing showed up, just the headers. After that I did "ipconfig" and it named an ipaddress and then a subnet mask, but the default gateway and the dns suffix were not listed on it. I did a ppower cycle on the router and the modem. This is a wired computer by the way. Any questions, just ask.

Router and DSL Modem Model please. also, what type of connection? Cable or DSL? have any phone jack Fliters?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

I have personally not had much luck doing a power cycle ("resetting the modem") on my system. However a good trick is to actually just unplug the modem from the electrical outlet for about 60 to 120 seconds, then plug it back in, and wait several seconds to minutes for your system to recognize it properly. Definitely worth a try.

Strangely my ISP has that power cycle built into their software, yet their support documentation suggests unplugging the modem is the best choice. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
My computer's internet connection has dropped and I dont know why it did that. Just randomly there is no connection and the computer cannot recognize anything. I did "netstat" in cmd prompt and nothing showed up, just the headers. After that I did "ipconfig" and it named an ipaddress and then a subnet mask, but the default gateway and the dns suffix were not listed on it. I did a ppower cycle on the router and the modem. This is a wired computer by the way. Any questions, just ask.

Hi beatlebryce,

Just a passing thought.I had a similar problem awhile back.I use the Custom option when updating from MS. It suggested I download an updated driver for my modem.Well who wants an outdated driver?Turns out the driver was not for my modem at all.Got the correct driver from my MANU. and voila.

Just a flashback.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :) davey

Did you mean a weird computer or wired computer?? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...