Media Player Active X plugin for Firefox?

Anthony A

I am trying to watch video on this site http://www.bnn.ca/shows/past_archive.tv but I can't and I keep getting prompted to install a Media Player Active X plugin. Firefox works fine every where else and has the Media Player plugin installed. IE and IE based browsers work fine on the site. I used to be able see video on the site with Firefox but not now. Maybe/probably they changed something. What is the Media Player Active X plugin? First time I have been prompted to install it.

Just click on one of the videos and see if your Firefox works or gets a prompt to install the plugin.

• Moderators

Yep, I got the same message. I've came across a few places recently asking to install plugins, one of them being Microsoft WMV-9VCM RTW plugin.

I actually liked the site, and the plugin was a pucker MS video codec, so I just went with it. This might be a similar plugin.

I've been asked one or two places to install Macromedia Flash, when I already have it. ;) Skipped them.

How much do you want to watch those videos?

Yep, I got the same message. I've came across a few places recently asking to install plugins, one of them being Microsoft WMV-9VCM RTW plugin.

I actually liked the site, and the plugin was a pucker MS video codec, so I just went with it. This might be a similar plugin.

I've been asked one or two places to install Macromedia Flash, when I already have it. ;) Skipped them.

How much do you want to watch those videos?

I want to watch them and I am with my IE based browsers for now. I just am not sure about the Windows Media Player Active X plugin. I don't really know what it is to be honest. That was the only site that I have come across that required it for Firefox. I have the "regular" Media Player plugin and Firefox works fine every where else.

It 's funny you mentioned WMV-9VCM RTW. I just had a prompt to install that on a site that I was using Opera on. Firefox and the IE based browsers worked on it but not Opera. I have asked about that on the Opera forum. If it's a codec that needs to be installed I wonder why it's only Opera that won't work on the site?

• Moderators

Do you run Returnil or Powershadow or similar?

I activate Returnil, and just re-install the plug-in every time I go to a site where they need you to do this, and then when I reboot, the plug-in's gone.

That Windows Media Video Codec is the only one I've actually installed properly.

Do you run Returnil or Powershadow or similar?

I activate Returnil, and just re-install the plug-in every time I go to a site where they need you to do this, and then when I reboot, the plug-in's gone.

That Windows Media Video Codec is the only one I've actually installed properly.

It would just be easier to launch IE7, Avant, Maxthon1, Maxthon 2, or Firefox because they work on that site. That is whats strange. If Opera won't play the video but the others do why do I need to install that codec.

I agree with you completely, but this is one of those things that tend to niggle until you know why.

It would niggle at me anyway. I hate mysteries, or having to change browsers to accomodate a website.

Believe me I will find out just for that exact reason. It will bug me if I don't. ;)

I would still like to know about this Media Player Active X plugin for Firefox though. Anybody here have it installed?

I tried that site as well and installed the plugin in a sandboxed FF session but still don't know about it.

You can type "about:plugins" into the url search bar to see all your installed plugs.

I have looked in my Firefox plugins and of course that one is not there which is why the video won't play but the othe media Player plugin is there.

I don't see that plugin on the Firefox addon site in the plugin section either https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7 I am going to hold off on this until I find out more.

Did the video play for you when you installed it in Sandboxie?

OK here is the deal with this plugin. When installing it installs the same way as a regular Firefox extension. Opens the same download window and you follow the same procedure. After that you have a dll in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npmozax.dll. The video plays just fine after that. You have the new plugin listed in the plugins directory as in this screen shot. It's the second from the top called Mozilla Active X control and plugin support. This is the first site I have come across that needed it and it must be a very recent change because it wasn't too long ago I was last at that site and Firefox worked fine without the plugin.

2007-11-17_125751.jpg