CCleaner v2.02.527

bmilojohn

Have just installed the latest version .527 and am running the cleaner "secure file deletion"....it won't stop running unless I physically hit "cancel." However, this problem doesn't seem to happen when running under "Normal File Deletion." Have CCleaner v2.02.527 on two computers and the problem persists on both. Thanks.

I'm having the identical problem with CCleaner on my laptop also.

I can't believe we're the only ones.

I uninstalled the current version of CCleaner and went back to an older version and no problem !!!

Have just installed the latest version .527 and am running the cleaner "secure file deletion"....it won't stop running unless I physically hit "cancel." However, this problem doesn't seem to happen when running under "Normal File Deletion." Have CCleaner v2.02.527 on two computers and the problem persists on both. Thanks.

I have the same problem and yes they are listed on the right but how do you download an older version?

I have put the only old version I had saved back on which is 1.40.520 and it work's ok so there must be a bug in the latest version.

Any other people with this problem? My OS is XP SP2

• Moderators
how do you download an older version?

Click once on the version you want and then click "download this version" arrow above it.

You can tell it's a different version in the "download this version" as the amounts change for the download size according to the version chosen

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Can any of you please post more information about your system? OS, IE version and etc...

Can you also tell if at least one file is deleted after you press Cancel?

Thanks

Here are some added clues to what may be going on with the new CCleaner secure deletion that doesn't stop running problem.

1. I ran analyze first. It showed many files to be secure deleted. I then ran CCleaner secure delete. After a while I manually cancelled. It showed many of the files as having been deleted. I then ran analyze. It showed that several files had not been deleted.

2. I have Norton installed. I have discovered that if I purge the Norton Recycle bin of protected files immediately before running CCleaner, secure deletion seems to run and terminate normally.

If an administrator would like a sample list of the files that are not deleting, send me a direct email request.

Just commenting... The people who use CCleaner and post on here frequently never seem to have problems. Then there are all of these people who post when they have problems that seem to not affect the veteran users.

On topic: Don't worry.... Mr. G will figure out what's going on, but on a side note, both of my PC's are able to run Secure Deletion just fine.

AJ

I am new to CCleaner...was turned on to it by a friend (this explains why I am not an advanced user).

Thought this was the point of forums...so folks with issues and/or solutions whether you are a "newbie" or "veteran" can share thoughts.

Have no doubt that there will be a fix or statement about what I am doing wrong when running the program.

• Admin

The secure delete previously had a problem with sometimes not securely deleting IE temporary files. So it would appear to

remove the files quicker, but the secure delete was not, in fact, being performed.

The new release properly handles the secure deletion process, which can take longer but is doing the job properly.

We're still investigating the problem where it appears never to stop.

MrG

Mr. G,

First, as bmilojohn said, thank you for all you do - CCleaner is a great program and we all appreciate your considerable efforts.

I have some clues and a possible workaround for the CCleaner keeps on running problem - they work on my system at least.

In CCleaner, Unchecking "empty Recycle Bin" stops the endless loop and lets CCleaner work normally, except of course that it leaves the contents of the recycle bin - these may then be deleted another way.

Here's another workaround that seems to allow the proper deletion of files in my recycle bin

On my system I have Norton systemworks 2005 and the current version of Eraser installed. Norton systemworks sets up a protected recycle bin.

I think CCleaner may be getting into an endless loop with that protected recycle bin.

Here's a way out that seems to work for me:

Right click the recycle bin, then click Properties, Norton Protection, Exclusions. In the top window add the line:

-*.zzz

click "insert" and then ok.

Close everything, and reboot.

This seems to work on my system....

Mr. G,

First, as bmilojohn said, thank you for all you do - CCleaner is a great program and we all appreciate your considerable efforts.

I have some clues and a possible workaround for the CCleaner keeps on running problem - they work on my system at least.

In CCleaner, Unchecking "empty Recycle Bin" stops the endless loop and lets CCleaner work normally, except of course that it leaves the contents of the recycle bin - these may then be deleted another way.

Here's another workaround that seems to allow the proper deletion of files in my recycle bin

On my system I have Norton systemworks 2005 and the current version of Eraser installed. Norton systemworks sets up a protected recycle bin.

I think CCleaner may be getting into an endless loop with that protected recycle bin.

Here's a way out that seems to work for me:

Right click the recycle bin, then click Properties, Norton Protection, Exclusions. In the top window add the line:

-*.zzz

click "insert" and then ok.

Close everything, and reboot.

This seems to work on my system....

Hi I have tried that as I have Norton Systemworks 2006 plus Norton Internet security 2008 installed but only unchecking the recycle bin works inserting -*.zzz does not work for me.

Hope this helps to track down the problem.

Workaround Update

Adding the =*.zzz to Norton Systemworks exclusions is no longer working for me either. I must have neglected something when I was testing this workaround. Sorry for the confusion.

Turning off the emptying of the recycle bin in CCleaner does work. This allows secure deletion to work for the other files.

Another option is to disable Norton Protection and just use the regular recycle bin.

For secure deletion, If you both disable Norton Protection and also turn off emptying of the recyle bin in CCleaner, you could then use a more aggressive overwrite on just those files in the recycle bin, such as the one in Eraser. Using a more aggressive overwrite is also possible in CCleaner of course, but may be time consuming if it is used to overwrite things like the hotfix installers etc.