Windows XP SP4 in the works!

q231

Even though Windows XP Service Pack 3 has a long way to go before being released to the public, word is out that Microsoft has Service Pack 4 in the works. SP3, set to be released in mid-2007, will be a massive update for XP, and many people have said it may be the last for the OS because of Vista.

Read the full article here link. its kinda old news i think

• Moderators

Old news indeed it's from June 2006.

In any event we're still waiting on SP3, which I hope is released before I ever redo my system because downloading all the patches after SP2 is very time consuming even on broadband.

indeed, Vista should have been Xp. Vista still has driver/software issues. i don't understand why company's like HP, Acer, and Dell have Vista on their systems. i've worked with Vista and it's a pain getting to learn the new shortcuts and what not. took me forever to find where i could config. my connection.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

So, New_Age, by following your logic, we can compare how you feel with OEMs using Vista to:

Don't send kids to school until they can read, write, tie their shoes and use the toilet properly.

Morale here is: The sooner they got it out, the less problems in the future - they will get to know the system. And just like with any other OS upgrade, it takes a little time to adjust to. Personally, I take UAC off as I don't like the machine challenging my authority to launch an application ;)

Sp3 will be the last for XP and I say good riddance, it was insecure by design. Vista is what XP should have been.

You might be the only one who thinks that. Yes, Vista is more over all around secure, but, with all of the updates, it has been the most trusted OS to date. Hopefully, when SP1 for Vista comes around, it will fix a lot of the problems that have been out since it was released.

AJ

• Moderators
Hopefully, when SP1 for Vista comes around, it will fix a lot of the problems that have been out since it was released.

Yeah, and perhaps they can fix the problem with people downgrading to XP (although some consider going back to XP an upgrade).

You might be the only one who thinks that. Yes, Vista is more over all around secure, but, with all of the updates, it has been the most trusted OS to date. Hopefully, when SP1 for Vista comes around, it will fix a lot of the problems that have been out since it was released.

AJ

This talk about Vista "problems" is largely FUD. If people took the time to actually compare the number of fixes in say the first 90 days, its actually less than XP, 2000, Ubuntu, RHEL, Mac OS X Tiger etcetc.

The other point is that people have somehow not noticed that MS has been pushing out fixes well before SP1, and as a connect beta tester for SP1 it hardly adds anything that isnt released to production. The only real thing for me is bitlocker encryption of other voumes. All the important fixes are already there on windowsupdate. Waiting for the service pack is for the days back in Windows 2000 and 98.

When MS studied the group of people who opted to go back to XP the majority of them showed that UAC was the primary issue for them. God help them if they try *Nix. MS has themselves to blame for this because they have taught a generation of Windows users bad practices. I set group policy to deny for users and prompt for credentials for admins though it can be disabled all together which I consider to be foolish. There was a security researcher who researched UAC and malware finding that over 97% of in the wild malware was blocked by UAC alone - Ill try to find the link.