November desktops

LuLu

Ok so since no one started a November desktop topic, I thought I would.

A picture of my birthday present (I wish!!)

novemberdesktop.jpg

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Tried out Ubuntu a while back and didn't like it at all.

Some posters on another forum were sorta raving about OpenSuse KDE so I decided to download and install on a spare 80 gig drive.

Not too bad so far.Still learning how to navigate.

• Moderators

The problems that I have with kde is that it feels noticeably less snappy than windows(and even gnome). Also it doesn't save window information(size, position, ect.) The last drove me nuts. Oh if you want a better way to navigate in kde drop konquerer and use dolphin. Its like nautilus in gnome(much easier to navigate with than konquerer.) Do not actually uninstall konquerer though because I think other things depend on it.

Suse is a little slower than ubuntu from what I found(especially linux mint.). If you want a good stable, easy to use kde install go to linux mint and then just run sudo kubuntu-desktop.

I however do not like linux anyway. I just tried it again yesterday. I missed WMP 11, MS office 07, and hardware support. It gave me bad wifi reception still, couldn't give me the right screen resolution, and it booted slow as hell. <_< Openoffice 2.3's word processor is a nicer looking now that they centered the page in the window(cant think of another way to put it...) but I just couldn't stand it after using MS office.

Also the little lizard menu is kind of cool but the regular k is better to just find what programs you need. :lol:

Here is a link to linux mint:

http://linuxmint.com/

Thanks for the info rridgely.

Scored about a dozen old 6-8 gig drives and I just installed fluxbuntu on one and running it now as a trial.

Seems lacking but the internet works ok.

Will have a look at linuxmint as my next install/trial.

Suse KDE seems nearly as fast as XP and definately faster than Vista on this duo core 2 gig ddr2 machine.

Was going to post a screenie of this fluxbuntu install but can't find a capture tool.In fact I can't find anything except the desktop icons. :lol:

• Moderators

fluxbox is odd. I tried a live cd that used it(cant remember the name...) and didn't play with it hardly at all.

If you want a light weight super fast desktop manager(what are these called again?...) then xfce is definitely the one to get. Default it looks likew gnome but I configured it to look almost exactly like windows. :lol:

Its kind of fun to play with linux but at the end of the day I'm not using the operating system. I'm using the programs that the OS runs and everything I want/need is on windows with zero hassle. :P

Oh have you tried enlightenment yet? Its kind of neat too. They just released an ubuntu based distro that uses it.(apparently they are going to sell computers at walmart that runs it...)

http://www.thinkgos.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

New Age - you play DoW??? Do you have any of the expansions? I love that game.... I download Inquisition: Daemonhunt for Dark Crusade...such a sick mod!

AJ

i do but it's been awhile and now i suck at it but i will buy the Expansions soon. maybe someday we'll play.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I currently got no wallpaper at all. I sometimes like it that way, and sometimes like to use wallpaper, if i find a nice one.

I know exactly what you mean, hence my rather late contribution to this thread. Heres one I found today. Its from an astronomy site.

It's an image of the volcano Tungurahua, located in Ecuador. In the background, above the volcano is the Pleiades star cluster.

I love it.

Credit to the photographer, Patrick Taschler.

6lcctxt.jpg