Vista Defrag and Defraggler together

Dave K

Ok, so I'd love it if someone with a 32-bit version of vista could replicate this. So check it out, i scan with defraggler and it shows me I have about 20GB of fragmented files that cannot be defragmented. (lots of movies, i know, ouch). Anyhoo, i defragment using vista and afterwards, i rescan using defraggler. Now the amount of fragmented files has skyrocketed, but once i defrag again WITH defraggler it seems other files that were once off limits or incapable of being defragmented have been changed in some way which allows me to get my fragments down to a few MB, (according to Defraggler's analysis), which is awesome. My question is, who is defragmenting my files best, Defraggler or Vista? What they represent as optimal is clearly a very large difference, and the fact that running in a 1.) Defraggler, 2.) Vista Defrag, 3.) Defraggler seems to help me so much is also a little strange. Can anyone shed any light?

to sum up,

1.) Defraggler says about 20GB can't be defragged.

2.) Windows Vista says nothing, but takes 8 hours to defrag

3.) Defraggler is outraged at all the new fragments I've made, but can somehow cut through them to bring me from a remaining 20 GB that wouldn't defrag to a few MB.

Try it out if you have vista, let me know whether or not you get similar results. Any explanations would be cool.

Version 1.0.23Beta

Windows Vista 32-Bit