Defraggler and Win98SE

Keithuk

I've downloaded Defraggler 1.00.031 Beta. I installed and tried to run it but I get an error before it starts.

The Defraggler.exe file is linked to missing export Kernel32.dll:VerifyVersionInfoW.

then

C:\Program Files\Defraggler\Defraggler.exe

A device attatchment to the system is not functioning.

The Kernel32.dll is the original installed by Win98. Does it need a newer version?

Reading the features

Defraggler supports all OSs released since Windows 2000, this includes Windows 2000, 2003, XP and Vista. Although 64-bit support is not included in this version, we are working on compatibility, so it will be available soon! Additionally Defraggler supports both NTFS and FAT32 file systems.

Is Defraggler only design to run on WinNT?

I know Win98 is old but I can't get WinXP to install anymore, so are there any plans to make a Win9x version.

I run CCleaner and Recuva with no problems and they work on all Windows systems.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

It seems to me that CCleaner is a vastly simpler program, from a coding standpoint. Defragmenting a drive requires some low level filesystem access, and probably requires a kernel mode driver. CCleaner just deletes files and stuff... maintaining the deletion lists is more work than creating the program that deletes stuff.

• 8 months later...

So Defraggler won't work in Win98SE. What a bummer! I use several computers and thus several different OS, each for its own purpose. On my 466 PCs with Win 3.1, Norton Utilities 8 works well. And my XP computers do alright with Defraggler, CCleaner, and other modern utilities. I don't know yet what's available or even needed on my Fedora 9 Linux computer.

But I have an older laptop (the price was right and it does what I need, basic document editing) with Win98SE. What can I use to defragment this drive? The supplied Windows Defragment tool takes forever, and doesn't like other programs (even the screen saver) writing to the disk while it's busy moving things around. I don't know if Norton Utilities 8 defrag will work, safely or not, under Win98SE. Any suggestions?

I'm sure I can find a paid/commercial program for Win98 use, but why, if it's no longer supported by Microsoft itself?

Thanks, John

WinME's defrag works better and it works on Win98:

http://home1.gte.net/johnfull/n208.htm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

But I have an older laptop (the price was right and it does what I need, basic document editing) with Win98SE. What can I use to defragment this drive? The supplied Windows Defragment tool takes forever, Any suggestions?

WinME's defrag works better and it works on Win98:

Well John as Kenny says if I hadn't have seen this post earlier. WinME's Defrag works twice as fast as Win98's, I've been using it for 7 years so who needs Draggler? If you do it weekly as I do then it doesn't take long at all. ;)

I can't get Kenny's link to download but this one does.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best