Registry restore

I think if CCleaner started with windows and made a back up of your registry so if you come up with problems you could go back on the registry a couple of days it would save a lot of heartaches with Windows XP because it doesn't seem to have the option like Windows me to just do a registry restore and you have to do a whole system restore to fix something that could be just a registry problem. I do not know why Microsoft keeps cutting off needed stuff every time they upgrade their sorry OS. Just keep getting worse and worse. When I had Windows ME I thought it can not get any worse than this but after Buying and installing XP I can see I was so so wrong. Yes it is better than ME in most things but it cut out a lot of necessary things that was in ME and the Registry restore fix a lot of problems I had. Lets just face it System restore sometimes causes more problems than it fixes. Yes it works sometimes bit not all and some times it doesn't put everything back right. That is why I think if you put a Registry restore on CCleaner it will be so so appreciative. Not only for me but alot of people who hate system restore.

Thanks for your time and yes thanks for a great freeware Harddrive cleaner. It is the only one I use. Yes I have used others. Lets face it yours is and was the only cleaner that didn't cause more problems or caused problems when using it.

Thanks again

• Moderators

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum. :)

I think for CCleaner to go the full distance and act as a system restore would be asking a lot of a free small program.

However just in case you didn't realise, when you do an 'issues' clean you are offered the choice of making a backup of the registry entries you have cleaned.

This is saved by default in 'my documents' and the entries can be restored to the registry by right-clicking on the backup and choosing merge.

In case you haven't seen the beginners guide, here it is

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It might not be a bad idea to add a feature in CCleaner that would force Windows to create a fresh System Restore point at the press of a button.

It would be so easy to implement, and of course in addition to the majority of system files, System Restore also backs up the entire registry.

Incidentally, as an alternative, you can download Doug Knox' script here

Save the vbs or exefile (your choice) to your hard drive, then create a shortcut to it on the Desktop or in Quick Launch, and you'll have that System Restore point at the press of a button. ;)

• Moderators

Save the vbs or exefile (your choice) to your hard drive, then create a shortcut to it on the Desktop or in Quick Launch, and you'll have that System Restore point at the press of a button. ;)

Great idea Tony. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Cool, thanks for that Tony, very useful ;)

You're very welcome, JD. Now all it takes is remembering to actually press that button before undertaking anything that might have dire consequences. LOL!

I do use Acronis True Image to back up my entire drive about once a week, but it's nice to have a couple of System Restore points that are more recent.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't talking about System restore. I hate it infact. Was talking about registry restore that you use with the startup disk on windows 95, 98 and ME.

System restore doesn't always put your system back in the right order and causes problems. Reg restore just restores the registry back about three days and let you pick how far to go back when you do a reg restore.

• 3 weeks later...

OK thanks I already downloaded that one. Have not tested it but not quite what I wanted. I wanted it to be fully automated. Start up with windows and keep the reg backed up for a week with 7 different step back up so if one do not work you can go back a little farther. That is manually done. It is useful but not guite what I wanted.

ERUNT works just fine for me. I think the daily AutoBackup on startup default is 30 days. I changed mine to 7 days which is fine for me. I can say that the restore works great. Saved my PC more than once. If you want to change the default days, the info is in the FAQ.

Question: I want to change the number of days from which ERUNT AutoBackup keeps restore folders.

Answer: Click "Start" ? "Programs" ? "Startup", right-click "ERUNT AutoBackup", choose "Properties", then at the end of the command line add a space and the /days:n switch where n is the new number of days.

Very customizable for those who know command line and scheduling tasks.